Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange issue when disabling IPv6

I wonder if anyone sees the same behavior:

In Vista/2008 to disable IPv6 entirely (not just for the NICs) you need to insert the following registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip6\Parameters]
    "DisabledComponents"=dword:000000ff

(to re-enable change value to 00000000)

In Vista, performing the above tip will remove the IPv6 address (fe80...) from the IPCONFIG output, AND will also remove the IPv6 checkboxes from the computer's NICs.

A couple of days ago I formatted my laptop and installed Win2008 Ent 32-bit on it. After inserting the above registry key, I see that it was indeed removed from the IPCONFIG output, but it DID NOT remove the IPv6 checkboxes from the computer's NICs.

Does anyone have an explanation for this?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Re: Strange issue when disabling IPv6

Nope, but why would you want to remove the checkbox in the first place?
    In the near future you need to move on to IPv6 and then you have to change every registry setting and you need to reboot every box.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Removing the checkbox disables IPv6 on the Lan interface and connections but not the tunnel interfaces and the IPv6 loopback interface.
      The registry key disables the tunnel interfaces and I think clearing the ipv6 loopback address from the hosts file takes care of the last.

Ta
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
        Removing the checkbox disables IPv6 on the Lan interface and connections but not the tunnel interfaces and the IPv6 loopback interface.
        The registry key disables the tunnel interfaces and I think clearing the ipv6 loopback address from the hosts file takes care of the last.

Ta
        That's what I said. In any case, IPv6 is something that will not be seen in operation for a while.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
        X