Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a good Anti Virus solution for 2008 Server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a good Anti Virus solution for 2008 Server?

What do you guys use for Anti Virus on your 2008 servers?

Ive evaluated a few.

AVG

http://www.avg.com/us.product-avg-fi...r-edition#tba1

Kapersky

http://www.kaspersky.com/anti-virus_...ver_enterprise

Clam win (although this was more stop gap)

http://www.clamwin.com/content/view/18/46/

Trend doesnt seem to have any 2008 compatable products & havnt really checked out anything else.

What do you find good, that doesnt consume mega resources, protects well etc? Im especially interested in ones installed on Terminal servers & whether an av component is added to the users session when they log on to the TS.

When I installed Clam, it added an AV process to every TS session & the cumulative resources that used was too much.

Re: What is a good Anti Virus solution for 2008 Server?

We use AVG 8 Network Edition on all of our Windows 2003 servers, including our Terminal Servers. It is compatible with Vista and Windows Server 2008. The AVG tray applet will run in each user session on the TS but we remove it from the HKLM...Run key in the registry so that it does not run in each user session. There are 4 AVG processes and they do not consume very much memory or CPU resources. We've found it to be a good product so far.

Comment

McAfee here (8.5 or 8.7) with no problems, although i know other people don't really like them.

The phrase "Anything except Norton/Symantec" springs to mind
      Last edited by Ossian; 26th January 2009, 14:17.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Trend or Mcafee from me but then everyone has their preferred software.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

McAfee here (8.5 or 8.7) with no problems, although i know other people don't really like them.

The phrase "Anything except Norton/Symantec springs to mind"
          Ive never really given Mcafee a go at the server level & yeah Nortons/Symantec have just been bad at every level. The amount of times Ive had a pc problem & no matter how unrelated it should be thought "Hmmm, I'll disable Nortons & see if that fixes it".........then presto all fixed.

Ive had similar experiences with Mcafee, but about the same with Trend, not too many though. Have never tried Mcafee at the server level, so might do a trial soon.

Trend or Mcafee from me but then everyone has their preferred software.
          Trend? Maybe I have been looking in the wrong spot, but I havent seen any 2008 compatable versions, which version?

Comment

OfficeScan 8
            http://us.trendmicro.com/us/products...nts/index.html
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

I watched a TV show last night, which was talking about how cybercrime is used to attack foreign infrastructures. It highlighted the events which occured in Astonia after it was attacked by "Russian" hackers in 2007. The CEO of Kaspersky stated that only 20% of virusthreats are detected by any security programs. A very nice TV show, which makes you think about corperate security.

We often sell Mcafee products along with Microsoft Epolicy Orchestrator. I somethimes crosscheck with other brands and was pretty pleased, because nothing got detected. As only 20% is detected, it makes you wonder what might be running on corporate networks (Botnets, etc), without administrators being aware.

A well configured firewall is equally important! Which means you control everything that comes and goes through the firewall (in and out). I know a lot of Small businesses have their firewall configured to allow everything that originates from the corporate LAN.
              Last edited by Killerbe; 26th January 2009, 13:40.
              [Powershell]
              Start-DayDream
              Set-Location Malibu Beach
              Get-Drink
              Lay-Back
              Start-Sleep
              Wake-Up!
              Resume-Service
              Write-Warning
              [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

Definitely agree. We have 2 different file scanning AV, 3 different on mail plus various other detection programs running constantly. Even then I get a little worried, there is always a machine somewhere that isn't under control.
                cheers
                Andy

Comment

This thread is starting, has gone .

Killerbee and below threads are very interesting and if the idea is worth discussing then we could move them to a new thread in the Misc Forum. Let me or the Forum Mods know (or post here) and we will "make it so". JLP
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

NOD32 ver 3 - comes in 32 and 64 bit flavours.

Light and easy to configure.

Comment

There only seems to be a 64bit version though. Which leads me to another question.

Is there way of having a virtual server/hyper v etc host with AV installed & have the ability to scan inside each virtual os or you definately HAVE to have AV for each individual Virtual OS?

Looks like I wont be using Kapersky, it crashed the server. There are many posts about it on their forums. Uninstall fixes it.

NOD32 ver 3 - comes in 32 and 64 bit flavours

Never used it. I'll try it on one of the servers.

The CEO of Kaspersky stated that only 20% of virusthreats are detected by any security programs

I'd believe that. After all, how can you protect against someone who is writing a virus right now? You cant unless heuristics somehow find it. They usually get unleashed on the wider world, then pacthes & pattern files are updated. So for a pattern file to come into existense, AV providers need to pull the virus apart & see how to counteract it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramjet99 View Post
                        NOD32 ver 3 - comes in 32 and 64 bit flavours.

Light and easy to configure.
                        Is it officially certified for Windows Server 2008 yet? One of our customers uses it and when we added a 2008 server to the domain NOD32 caused loads of problems by breaking NLA and the server' firewall profile kept changing as a result.
                        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                        sigpic
                        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Hi!

We use NOD32 v3 on 2 Server 2008 systems all runs fine...

Very light and easy to configure...

But we use one of the freebies on our firewall for HTTP filtering...

We also have NOD32 on our exchange 2007 but here we use freebie before it too

At least 2 different AV for "gateway level"...

Comment

Working...
                          X