No announcement yet.

Windows Server 2008 with Visual SVN Server gets high CPU usage for lsass.exe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server 2008 with Visual SVN Server gets high CPU usage for lsass.exe

We have installed VisualSVN Server (1.6.2) on a Windows Server 2008 x64 VM hosted with VMWare ESXi Server. The server has 4GB memory assigned and two virtual processors.

Client machines are Windows Server 2003 With Tortoise SVN installed.

The following issue occurs on the Server with Visual SVN installed: When a user runs a "Show Log" or tries to check out code from SVN, the lsass.exe process starts using a large proportion of the CPU on the server for the duration. For example, a "Show Log" showing the last 100 modifications (normally would take a couple of seconds) takes up to a minute while lsass.exe does its thing.

Checking the Task Manager on the server, I can see that the lsass.exe process is communicating with the AD server (Windows Server Core 2008 x86, 2GB RAM) - all users are authenticating to the Visual SVN server with their domain credentials. The corresponding lsass.exe process on the AD server doesn't show any increased CPU or memory usage.

If I create a local account for the users, they can connect with that account and perform the tasks as quickly as you would expect, and lsass.exe barely twitches.

I would like to not have to create local accounts on this server for all users, so I'm wondering what can be done to control or optimise lsass.exe's behaviour. I've looked around the internet for quite some time and seen nothing that gives an indication or references WIndows Server 2008 specifically, beyond the process absorbing memory and CPu on a domain controller.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated please!
    Many thanks
    Vance

Re: Windows Server 2008 with Visual SVN Server gets high CPU usage for lsass.exe

One of our developers found the solution, a configuratin within VisualSVN Server itself:

SVNPathAuthz

e.g. in httpd.conf

<Location /repos>
    DAV svn
    SVNParentPath /usr/local/svn
    SVNPathAuthz off
    </Location>

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch06s04.html

Added the SVNPathAuthz off line and restarted the VisualSVN Server service and the lsass.exe process verifies authentication once against the AD for each process initiated by the user. Without this parameter lsass.exe will check authentication for every file and folder within the Repository directory you are working with.

Hope that helps someone else!
    Regards
    Vance

Comment

Re: Windows Server 2008 with Visual SVN Server gets high CPU usage for lsass.exe

If your turned on netlogon debugging ("nltest /dbflag:0x2080ffff"), you would probably see entries including something like this: "NlAllocateClientApi timed out". It's a sign of client application poundering the server with NTLM authentication requests. In this case you have 2 options:

1) Fix the app (what you did - good for you)
      2) Bump up the MaxConcurrentApi registry value to around "5" as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326040 (ignore that it talks about ISA)
      Guy Teverovsky
      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
      X