Dual Boot or Virtualization? Server2008/Ubuntu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Boot or Virtualization? Server2008/Ubuntu

Server is an HP DL380 G4 with 2 3.6 Xeons. 6GB DDR2 and a U320 SCSI subsystem.

Prior to the the installation, yesterday, of Server 2008 STD 64-bit I had Ubuntu Hardy 8.04.1 LTS 64-bit Server Edition installed with 2 drives allocated to its use (formatted ext3.) These were removed and Server 2008 was installed and uses 4 NTFS drives.

My intention was to dual boot Server2008/Ubuntu. The ubuntu forum provided good directions for this. Essentially it uses Grub which findes Ubuntu which it was loaded along with but has a section added so that it can find the Windows boot drive/partition which is no longer at SCSI ID0 (replaced by the Ubuntu boot drive. Once it follows this path boot loader is not concerned apparently.

I have been reading the Microsoft Server 2008 information and other searched material and wonder if vitualization is an alternative to dual booting. Microsoft says:

"Virtualization Built-in

Windows Server Hyper-V...allows you to make the best use of your server ...by consolidating multiple server roles as separate virtual machines running...You can also efficiently run multiple operating systems - Windows, Linux, and others in parallel on a single server. With Hyper-V and simple licensing policies...take advantage of the cost savings of virtualization."

Ubuntu uses KVM for virtualization. Would there be any likely clash? I suppose you would only use one or the other. My processors appear to be able to use vrtualization, the HP machinery also appears to be good for it. I could not see whether once installed you kind of boot into the other environment from within windows or whether it is a simple step into it.

Am I barking up a completely wrong tree? I certainly have no general appreciation of the area. Frankly, dual booting would be fine for my use but it is worthwhile checking before setting up a dual boot.

Thanks

Ian

Re: Dual Boot or Virtualization? Server2008/Ubuntu

I would go for virtualization.
    Much easier, both systems can be online and installing Ubuntu within Hyper-V shouldn't give you a problem although I haven't tested it.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Thanks yet again, Dumber.

More new territory for me to try.

Regards

Ian

Comment

Duel booting should go obsolete with Virtualization.

I would drop ESXi on that hardware and run both Windows and Ubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post

See - in some situations I agree. However I have a dual-boot system simply because the idea of the second XP Pro installation is to reduce the resource usage to a minimum so I can run games; so Hyper-Visors wouldn't help.

There are many situations in which a Virtual simply won't cut the mustard and a dual-boot will; you can't call it for all situations. Before you decide which is better, you need to know what the requirements are; just like ANY other IT decision.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post

Hi Garen,

I gave it a go but I was wrong. My dual processors don't actually provide the hardware support required and Hyper-V would not install for me. I had looked up the Intel processor chart and optimistically identified a 3.6 Xeon processor which would but now, red faced, have to pull my horns in.

The HP server can be upgraded to 3.8 Xeons and I will check out whether they are Hyper-V enabled but a jump to another set of 3.6MHz processors seems a bit silly to me. The material I have read to date doesnt indicate that it can be upgraded to dual core which would have been a more interesting option.

It is fast enough for all my purposes other than this. My PC (a 3.4Mhz Extreme) with U320 SCSI subsystem (off PCI not PCI-X) isn't fast enough to keep AVCHD editing in Adobe Premier Pro running smoothly all the time (and is slow on some limited other intensive work I do) but the server with its dual Xeons runs this well so my motiviation to upgrade probably should be low at this time.

Thanks for the advice.

Regards

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
              See - in some situations I agree. However I have a dual-boot system simply because the idea of the second XP Pro installation is to reduce the resource usage to a minimum so I can run games; so Hyper-Visors wouldn't help.
              Gday Tom,

I don't run games (though would like to) but can see that when I get the machinery to run the two together there may be value in dual boot as well for the heaviest work.

A new computer now appears likely to be a good while off though.

Thanks

Ian

Comment

If Hyper-V and ESXi won't work, then I would go for Virtual Server.
                Actually I don't care what you use, ESXi and Hyper-V has their advantages and disadvantages.
                If I had the choice I would go for ESX (without the i)
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                  If Hyper-V and ESXi won't work, then I would go for Virtual Server...If I had the choice I would go for ESX (without the i)
                  Thanks very much again, Marcel. I will look into Virtual Server and check the difference between ESX and ESXi before getting into the next computer.

Regards

Ian

Comment

ESXi and Virtual server are both free.
                    However, with ESX you can have a lot more advantages however ESX is quite costly.
                    I really would review www.vmware.com and even post back when you have more questions about ESX.
                    Jason on this forum is quite knowledgeable about those products
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands

Comment

Working...
                    X