Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install Win Server 2008 STD 64-bit clean on my HP DL380 G4

Hello all,

I am not sure that mine is the same problem as this thread covers (as the earliest posts are not apparrent) but there are similar elements.

Today, I am attempting to load Win Server 3008 STD 64-bit clean on my HP DL380 G4. This machine has 6GB of registered DDR2 and 300GB U320 drives.

As Windows comes on DVD and the machine only has a CD I have plugged in an LG USB 2.0 Slim external Super Multi Rewriter and have booted off that. It boots up OK and and goes through the file loading process. This took so long that I aborted (ie turned the machine off) on the first attempt. The cursor was moveable on a grey screen the timer not showing. The next attempt was left on an hour or two and when inspected it had brought up a screen primarily for localisation which I filled in, this caused more activity with 'please wait...' and the timer showing on the cursor with the same grey screen.

The problem is it has been runing for SEVERAL HOURS. There are signs of both DVD and server activity. Do you think it will eventually load or is this what the original thread was describing?

2.0 USB is enabled in bios.

HDD's and DVD appear to be working fine.

I have downloaded and created a firmwhere ISO then upgraded the server using HP Maintenance.

Prior to attempting this install, I had these 4 drives (U320 each 10K 300GB) in NTFS and linked in a RAID 5 set while the other two (currently pulled) are in the Ubuntu format. St3 or something are linked in a 1+0 RAID set. After removing the 1+0 set I deleted the RAID 5 set and created a Logical drive on of just the drive in the ID0 postion ready to take WinServer2008. I dont have other HP tools and couldnt see a way of managing the drive on its own ie outside of the 1 disk RAID setup it is now part of - It has no partitions? (I dont plan to have any partitions on any of the drives.

The server works fine under Ubuntu (Hardy LTS) 64-bit. I have removed the 0 position drive housing Ubuntu along with it's RAID mate and moved another drive into the 0 (SCSI ID0) postion to be used by Win Server 2008. The plan is, after installation, to stick the Win2008 drive back in its position, put the Ubunutu drives back in theirs and edit grub to permit dual boot options for both OS's (though that is the next challenge, I dont quite know how that will be edited.)

So, perhaps everything is OK and it is only a matter of waiting another few hours for Windows Installer to do its job but I have my doubts. Hope it doesn't indicate what it's take on the word 'fast' will be when installed.

Thanks for any insight.

Regards

Ian
    PS. First post here- apologies if anything is out of order.

Re: Installation of Windows 2008 Standard fails to proceed on DL380..

Hang on.

Before I waste your time in replying.

Just a few minutes after that note - action. It asked for a CD/DVD device driver. It wasn't clear on whether that was for the LG External Super Multi DVD or the internal thin HP CD. If the LG that may explain the slow going.

I stuck the LG DVD into it to see if there happened to be a 2008 driver on board. The LG manufacturing date is Nov 2008 so you would hope that if it was that,it would have the 2008 drivers - it is a recent release so they may not be on the MS install disk but it is now after 6 or 8 minutes of searching the LG disk looking a little grim.

Will go out and have a look for compatible drivers for both.

Regards

Ian

PS am beginning to think I should have had a go at the Shares method of installation instead.

Comment

Re: Installation of Windows 2008 Standard fails to proceed on DL380..

If you have read this far you deserve a progress report.

I searched for some time on the net for a 64bit driver for the LG External Rewriter for Server 2008 until slowly realising that they either do not exist or must not be considered important. Then went to HP and found that the latest is what my machine was updated with.

So, cancelled out of the WinServer 2008 search for a compatible driver, searched the installation disk instead, selected x64bit clean install and installation proceeded to the first (if there are more than one) restart.

All good.

Then stupidity set in.

The boot to CD query came up at the end of the HP stuff and....I hit it. So now we are going through the grey stage after loading from the instalation disk again. That would mean, I imagine, that I am in for another multi-hour installation routine.

It does occur to me that simply crashing closed and re-starting (without hitting the boot from CD option) would find that Windows starts and finalizes on it's recent installation but I am not game and will sit around and wait instead.

Regards

Ian

PS

It seems that my every IT foray into fresh ground proceeds by trial and failure then realisation.

Half the time the realisation is that something obvious has been missed. That is despite plenty of reading and plenty of good advice.

What it must be like to not have been doing it for years and to not have average or greater brain power.

Comment

Re: Install Win Server 2008 STD 64-bit clean on my HP DL380 G4

HI all,

Another update. Windows Server 2008 seems to have installed OK. Eventually the opportunity to repair came up and that gave the opportunity to exit and let the it start into the installed OS.

---
        The only problem (apart from me) appears now to lie in or around the system's reading of the CD/DVD's. This includes the one natively installed in the HP DL380 G4 and the USB connected LG Super MUlti Rewriter drive. Both show in Windows as running properly and are shown to have the latest drivers. Yet, neither will auto-run new applications or permit explore. Attempts to do these things results in considerable waiting and failure anyway. The CPU's all the while are running at only 1 to-5% of capacity so despite light activity nothing seems to be happening.
        ---

There seems to be a basic incompatibility between the drives and Server 2008 even though it doesnt mention it. Not a pleasant introduction to the latest windows but probably an explanation for the very slow installation. How it came to load at all is a mystery.

One drive, the external re-writer is USB 2.0 connected at rear to the motherboard. USB2 is enabled in Bios. The other, the CD, is native to the Server and connected directly to the the HP SCSI backplane DVD/CD connector. Seems odd that with completely different connections similar symptoms would report. Perhaps each have a separate problem. The internal CD works fine (as I used it with Ubuntu before removing the ubuntu drives and beginning this installation.) The re-writer worked well enough, just, to get Windows to install - eventually. That brings me to think that it must be to do with my setup of removable drives in Windows. I admit to fiddling around a bit attempting to clear any blockages but nothing has changed any symptoms. BTW, I have tested other CD/DVD media with the same result.

I am grateful if you have followed this far. If any have been there before and can advise, that would be fantastic.

Thanks

Regards

Ian
        Last edited by JAID; 26th December 2008, 23:38. Reason: typos & additional information

Comment

Two further update notes.

While I said in the first post that I didn't intend partitioning the drive Win Server2008 64-bit is on - I did. Gave it 100 GB leaving the remainder as a loaded applications partition.

As noted I have pulled two drives concerned with Ubuntu out of the machine for the duration of the windows install. Apart from the SCSI drive windows is on I have not bothered forming the other 3 into one or more logical drives and they are not currently visible. I suppose I should activate them to ensure that the problem doesn't extend to all attached drives. I see that windows doesn't regard hot-plug SCSI drives as removable so that is one difference (all HDD's in this are hot-pluggable.)

Regards

Ian

Comment

All,

I went back and read Dumber's contribution to the recent Win 2008 64-bit HP DL380 installation thread and realise, very late in the day, that I have made a major oversight. I confused the Maintenance update with SmartStart. HP's maintenance CD 8.30, the current latest all went well prior to loading Windows.

So, currently, Smartstart 8.15 is downloading and I will see if that achieves anything. Perhaps it will mean a fresh install of windows but that is OK.

Stupidity had set in a bit before I thought.

Regards

Ian

Comment

Someone has had to move my posts to a separate thread. Sorry about that, I thought there was some likeness but will be a bit more careful next time.

ian

Comment

No problem at all. I think Biggles has moved your posts to a separate topic. Make sure you keep the forum rules in mind.
                So far, keep up the good work your doing here. I'm curious if the smartstart CD works out.
                Also I'm curious if it isn't simpler to buy a DVD player for the server rather than using it via USB.
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                  ...Also I'm curious if it isn't simpler to buy a DVD player for the server rather than using it via USB.
                  Me too.

Not that I didnt try. Just, none available locally and I reckoned it would take until the new year to ship from the mainland.

If this LG thing works it could get a bit of use beyond this installation which got me to jump from the original idea of replacing the unit's CD (aided by uncertainty as to whether it would see a DVD in that location-after further reading it appears it would) but the CD doesnt work anyway just now so I may not have been ahead even if available.

Thanks for the reply Dumber. The file has downloaded now so will make an ISO and try it in an hour or two. On such a big file it would be good to do HP's checksum but the last one reported insufficient memory. The 32-bit WinXP pro machine I am currently on has 4GB (3.5 visible) you would think with nothing else going that wouldnt be a problem.

Regards

ian

Comment

An intermediate update.

Have run HP smartstart and reviewed everything. Both the CD and external DVD are appropriately recognised. A significant utility. A lot of information.

Started the win2008std64-bit deployment module. This ran through and loaded I imagine whatever would be loaded from the Smart Start ISO.

That process stopped when asked to remove the Smart Start CD and install the DVD. As the internal unit is only a CD there was no choice but to put the Windows DVD media in the external DVD. This was not recognised. Smart Start probably just looks to the internal unit.

The remaining option was to re-boot. Bios was set to reboot to DVD first I thought but cant find that as an option so I must have set it as it shows to USB thingo first then CD. So maybe it was doing the right thing by attempting to boot from CD-Rom as the second option may actuallly use the USB port. There was a lot of disk activity on the external unit and it takes a while for files to be loaded from DVD but last time there was a screen note that windows was transferring files. I suspect something has changed concerning where it will look for a "CD" since using Smart Start.

Maybe wrong.

Anyway I will leave it "attempting to boot from CD-Rom" for a half hour and hope that means the external DVD unit as well. (The internal CD is empty.) (It shouldn't wear out the Windows Media.)

If this doesn't work, the next stop is to hope there is a windows media ISO available for CD. Failing that I think it is a wait until an internal DVD can be got over here.

Ian

(PS I will walk out the door and it will boot.)

Comment

No, I cant get back into the windows installation now. SmartStart must have plugged a hole.

Once in working through the HP pre-installation settings, it booted to some sort of windows repair list screen where I was able to turn off the requirement for driver certification. After that it did a lot of thinking but no action. I turned it off after a couple hours.

Although the Windows installation DVD media was in the external drive at the time I think the startup was off the boot HDD.

That is odd as within SmartStart I had re-partitioned the drive in preparation for fresh installation. A final check within the status review component of that showed that instead of creating a smaller boot partition (90GB instead of the 100GB previously allocated) it had created a single drive RAID array of the full drive size. That would indicate, I would think, that the previous WinSrvr2008 installation had gone the way of the dinosaur. Likely not.

Multiple attempts again did not reproduced the Windows options but did result in a lot of external DVD drive activity with no result.

Have had a look around for an ISO image spanning multiple CD's or the abilty to make one which works and dont think that is a possibility so it looks like a wait until a thin DVD can be deliverered to go into the machine.

Pity that though because the external re-writer was bought for the purpose and albeit slow did transfer the installation data for the first installation and that was stable even if it couldnt operate either the CD or DVD.

All good though, the mystery range is steadily narrowing and we will get it in the end.

Regards

Ian

Comment

A brighter interim report (even if the thinking it shows was not too bright.)

This LG slim rewriter comes with two USB cables, one for the data and power (it is capable of running off USB bus power and another with a power end to power when extra power is required. That is it can use two USB positions to provide power with one also dealing the data.

Well, first I managed to get my thinking around to the possibilty that the front USB may be worth a try. On doing that it occurred that it would be worthwhile plugging the power cable into the back.

Windows loaded to the configuration stage in under 15 minutes which seemed rather good to me after sitting around for hours. The DVD must not have been getting enough power for the task.

...However, one race down another to start. During the final configuration stage windows decided that the computer's boot configuation was not as it liked and refused to proceed, cancelling installation.

That doesn't sound too bad to me. SmartStart likely changed something in there to it's temporary liking and I am sure that even I will be able to find it. On exit, windows kindly offered to fix the problem and noted that it still knew what that problem was so I accepted but that didnt appear to do anything so will have a look - after dinner.

Regards

Ian

Comment

.......... Bingo

Comment

The Result.

Windows Server 2008 standard 64-bit is up again but this time everything works.

It was interesting that Friday's install worked with only the removable drives apparently problematic but I think Dumber, your putting me back onto HP's SmartStart was vital. My version was back at 7.10, I had browsed it and reckoned there was nothing useful in it (maybe I attempted some use but certainly never looked close enough to see what a sophisticated set of applications it is.

It would only be a wild guess for me to suggest a reason for today's installation boot configuration related failure. I suspected HP's switching of SMNP but in the end suspect it was either a vestige of the HP adminstered process which could not be continued or perhaps HDD partitioning or share related.

The most significant problem however was something that I should not have overlooked and wasted the readers time with. Simply that the demands of OS and major application installation like Adobe Master Collection are too much for the external multi LG DVD rewriter powered by a single USB bus (which it is normally able to operate on.) Use of its second USB power cable is necessary.

I will leave this LG unit in the rack with the server and probably connect its Power cable off a powered USB hub as there is a spare around and then connect the Power/Data cable directly to the computer. Whether there was any strength in the thought that the front USB connector works better than the rear I do not know. It is currently loading a large application so I won't pull it and try the rear connector but will test and if there is any noticeable difference report later. Certainly the DL380 front USB for data/power and rear for power only does work with this unit.

Thanks Dumber and the many who read the thread to see if there was something they could add.

Regards

Ian

Comment

Working...
                            X