Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help in resolving a error message that is shown while installing windows server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help in resolving a error message that is shown while installing windows server

Hello All:

I am hoping that someone can tell me how to resolve a error message that i receive when installing Windows Server 2008. I am attempting to install server 2008 on a 500 gig partition on the first SATADrive in my system. Evewrytiime I try to install Windows, it will go through the beginning process of expanding the files and installing. It gets to the screen where it says completing installation. Aftyewr sitting at this screen for some time, Windows then reboots the system and the first screen I see is Windows is "please wait while Windows continues setting up your computer. A few seconds after this screen ap[pears the following message is shown: "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an enexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click ok to restart the computer and then restart the installation.

I have followed those instruction a countless number of times and this error message keeps appearing. I have even reformatted the drive before installing and try the install from scratch and the same thing keeps happening. Windows will not install completely. If anyone has experienced this problem, I would appreciate hearing how you solved it. Thanks in advance for any and all responses they will be truly appreciated.
    Last edited by astone; 19th December 2008, 08:24. Reason: I didn't complete the message

Re: Need help in resolving a error message that is shown while installing windows ser

Is this a PC or a server?
    Do you have current firmware, bios and drivers on all devices?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Re: Need help in resolving a error message that is shown while installing windows ser

Hi: It is Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition. Yes, I do have all current firmware, bios and drivers.

Comment

Hi,

Can you post more details please.
        Hardware used and if it's the 64 or the 32 bit you are trying to install.
        Also try to disable the Driver Signature Enforcment and have a look at this to see if it helps: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-ee773d9182a6/

Ta
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Hi Ta:

This is a server that I built from scratch. It has a tyan Tempest S5397 Motherboard, two raid cards, a 3ware 9550SX sata raid card and a 3ware 7605-8 Pata raid card. The sata raid card has 5 seagate 750 GB drives on it and the Pata raid card has 4 Western Digital 160 GB drives on it. I also have a internal sata seagate 1.5 TB drive plugged in the motherboard with a 500GB partition and a 1 TB partition. I am attempting to install Windows Server 2008 on the 500 GB partition.. I have a Matrox M series Graphics adapter and a Adaptec 29160 LP scsi card for my external tape backup.

I have the latest drivers for the Sata and Pata cards. Lastly, I have been unable to install the graphics card drivers since I have not installed Windows Server. I am trying to install the 64 bit version.

Thanks once again for any and all responses.
          Last edited by astone; 19th December 2008, 21:30.

Comment

Remove any hardware not required to install Windows and see if that helps. How much RAM?
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi:

I have 12 GB of ram.

Comment

And did removing non-essential hardware help?

Which architecture of Server 2008 are you trying to install?
                Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi:

I did not remove my sata or pata cards as yet. That is a somewhat difficult task, especially after having to remove and replace a motherboard in the server case. I am trying to install the 64 bit version of standard server 2008. Note: It installed on the old motherboard which got fried without a hitch and all the hardware was in the computer when I installed it. This is the same motherboard as the last one, Tyan Tempest i5400PW S5397.

Thanks for your reply, I truly appreciate it.

Comment

Hi:

I removed all the hardware and tried again. Now, it gets to the completing installation screen but never finishes installing. It appears to lock up during this phrase of the installation. I have attempted to reinstall from scratch once again after this happens, however, it stops at that point again. Any suggestions?

Comment

Are you sure that it is stopping? How long have you left it?
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

Hi agian:

I can't say that I am leaving it long enough. What I can tell yoiu is that I left it in the completing installation satge over two hours yesterday. Another thing, I am doing it again as we speak, I noticed that when it said completing installation in the beginning, three dots would be moving next to the words completing installation. After a minute or so passed the three dots stop moving. That is where it is at right now. How long should I let it stay like this?

Comment

Leave it overnight? 2 hours should be long enough though.
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

Hi:

Well, I could let it run overnight, but should it take that long, another thing, there is a green line at the bottom of the screen which appears to move as the installation proceeds. This has also appeared to stop moving. BTW, is there any limitation to the partition size that windows should reside on?

More importantly, THANK YOU for your help, I appreciate it. another aside, where is Cambs, UK

Comment

In the UK

Originally posted by Microsoft
                              For now, 2 terabytes is considered the practical limit for both physical and logical volumes using NTFS.
                              http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true
                              Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                              X