Server 2008 as new Domain in an existing Forest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2008 as new Domain in an existing Forest

We are setting up our first Exchange server to our company. We decided to create a new domain inside our existing forest. The current forest contains only one domain as we are still fairly small. The problem we are having is that the new domain controller is not creating the msdcs dns entries that should exist with a new domain and thus we are experiencing connectivity issues such as joining the exchange server to the new domain. Is there a specific order in which to setup the new domain structure? Or is there a better domain structure in which to implement the exchange server than what we are trying to do?

Thanks

Re: Server 2008 as new Domain in an existing Forest

Do you actually need the Exchange server to be in a new domain? Why not install it in the existing domain?

Also, you're not planning to run Exchange on a DC, are you?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

We are not installing the exchange server on the same machine as the DC. We do not actually own the external domain name that we use internally so we would like to have a separate domain that reflects the name of the public domain that we own.

Am I wrong in thinking that a new domain in an existing forest should create it's own msdcs files? Also, how and where do we initially setup the dns in order for the new domain/DC to successfully be created?

Thanks

Comment

That's not actually the case. Company name changed to protect the guilty, but the last client site I looked at was a company called Dave Jones Inc, with the website www.djinc.co.uk and the internal domain name dji.lan

Exchange is setup, and emails to @djinc.co.uk work perfectly.

If you have www.random.com and setup your internal domain name as random.com you can actually cause some rather annoying issues.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thank you for that info on the domain naming, that might be a good direction to just jump into the existing domain. Do you or anyone else know why the domain we have created is not creating the msdcs records in DNS. We have demoted the domain and cleaned up the meta data so we can start over, but we want to make sure to do it right this time.

any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
          X