No announcement yet.

Install 2008 DC in a 2003 Domain

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install 2008 DC in a 2003 Domain

Hi !
    I already have a Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller in my environment and I'm trying to set up a Windows Server 2008 as a Secondary DC. On the 2003 DC I'm not able to run the command:

adprep /forestprep

When I launch the command prompt with Run As and type adprep /forestprep, I get:

'adprep' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I don't know what I'm missing but I'm just following the steps contained in the paper:

The above paper recommends to use the adprep application located on the install media of the Windows Server 2008 and that's exactly what I'm trying to do but for some reasons it doesn't work for me.

Without running the adprep /forestprep command I don't see how I can set up the Windows Server 2008 as my secondary. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Washington, DC

Re: AD 2003 Forest with 2008 DOmain

Hijack flagged
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Re: AD 2003 Forest with 2008 DOmain

You are tryin to run adprep from the 2008 installation disc under the \sources\adprep\ right? May not run if you don't run it from that folder.

Re: Install 2008 DC in a 2003 Domain

Hi There!

Thanks for your feedback. You're right. I was running it from the wrong folder. After I posted my question, I went back to double-check things and found out that I was pointing to the wrong folder. I was able to run adprep /forestprep with success.

After that, I went to the Windows Server 2008, install AD DS and tried to run dcpromo but it keeps telling me that before installing another DC in the forest I must run adprep /forestprep. The thing is that I already ran that command on the Windows Server 2003 DC. So, I'm a little lost now. Maybe I'm missing something but the error message didn't tell me much.

Any idea as to what my headache may be?

Thank you all !

I have seen a question in practice exams where it implies you may need to run adprep /xxx multiple times, although I can't remember the reasoning behind it.

I dont think there is any harm in doing so
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

What version of Win2003 are you running? 32-bit or 64-bit?

And what's the version on Win2008 installation media? 32-bit or 64-bit? Remember that by default the Win2008 installation media is 64-bit.

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Dear All:

I was able to go pass the issues I was having on Friday. As Ossian said, I ran the adprep /forestprep a second time and it went through. I then ran adprep /domainprep without a problem. Below is the summary of the dcpromo command:

"Configure this server as an additional Active Directory domain controller for the domain

Site: Default-First-Site-Name

Additional Options:
              Read-only domain controller: No
              Global catalog: Yes
              DNS Server: Yes

Update DNS Delegation:

Source DC:

Database folder: C:\Windows\NTDS
              Log file folder: C:\Windows\NTDS
              SYSVOL folder: C:\Windows\SYSVOL

The DNS Server service will be installed on this computer.
              The DNS Server service will be configured on this computer.
              This computer will be configured to use this DNS server as its preferred DNS server."

I stopped the set up during the weekend to check with this circle of experts if my configuration makes sense. I wasn't really sure about the RODC so I opted to do some reading on it prior to continuuing my install. I learned that the RODC is good for solving the physical security issue in branch offices. I dont think I'm going to need it at this point because I'm deploying this secondary DC in our main location. Any counter arguments?

I'm planning to finish running the dcpromo today and get it done with this set up but I will wait to do it at the end of the day hoping that some among you will give react with their suugestions and critics.

FYI: I'm running Windows Server 2003 R2 32bit for the DC1 and for DC2 I have Windows Server 2008 64bit.

Have a good day and thanks again.

Thanks for posting back with that info. It is greatly appreciated and I am sure this will help someone in the future.
                Departed: 23rd December 2015

First of all a RODC is not writable.
                  Second you have to "assign" users which credentials will be cached on the server for authentication purposes.
                  Third it will not update DNS (Read only either)
                  Forth, if physical security isn't a issue, why would you go for a RODC?
                  Fifth, you need a writable W2K8 DC before you can implement a RODC.

Enough answers or do you need more
                  Technical Consultant

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Thanks to everybody for all the inputs. I went ahead and finished my install of the Windows Server 2008 as my secondary. I ran the different command mentioned in . Everything looks good at this point.