Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 2008 on a VMWARE server unable to map drives to XP clients.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2008 on a VMWARE server unable to map drives to XP clients.

We are having exact same problem with our VMware Virtual Machine running W2008 server. It is about 4 weeks old and no problems until yesterday when its locked up twice! Someone suggested it was a SMB issues. SMB v2 on W2K8 and V1 on XP. It caused us major headache so we dont' want it to happen again.

Re: Server 2008 64 Bit locks up users "My Computer" and Network Shares

Originally posted by arrietty View Post
    We are having exact same problem with our VMware Virtual Machine running W2008 server. It is about 4 weeks old and no problems until yesterday when its locked up twice! Someone suggested it was a SMB issues. SMB v2 on W2K8 and V1 on XP. It caused us major headache so we dont' want it to happen again.
    Any chance of attaching a question to this so we can decide where to put the hi-jack post and give it an appropriate title? Thanks.
    Your problem is quite different as it is running in VMWare whereas the OP has no mention of this.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      Any chance of attaching a question to this so we can decide where to put the hi-jack post and give it an appropriate title? Thanks.
      Your problem is quite different as it is running in VMWare whereas the OP has no mention of this.
      Yes, sure.
      We are running a file server using Windows 2008 on a VMWARE virtual server and every couple of days we are finding we cannot access any of the mapped drives from the Win XP clients. I can ping the server and use Remote Desktop fine. Have noticed some higher CPU usage. Have been reading the forums which suggest there is a SMB version 2 conflict with XP's v. 1 or maybe its the Antivirus. Any suggestions?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by arrietty View Post
        Any suggestions?
        Disable the antivirus and test? You said yourself it could be the AV but gave no indication that you have tried this.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

network shares on 2K8 unavailable on XP clients

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          Disable the antivirus and test? You said yourself it could be the AV but gave no indication that you have tried this.

We've tried so many things but latest is this fix by NAV updated 2rd Dec which we have just applied.

http://service1.symantec.com/support...8?Open&seg=ent

Will let you know if we have any more issues.

Comment

Working...
          X