Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installation of Windows 2008 Standard fails to proceed on DL380..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation of Windows 2008 Standard fails to proceed on DL380..

All -

I'm setting up Windows 2008 Std w/o Hyper-v x64 on an HP DL380 G5 server. I created the RAID volume sets using ORCA( F8 )

After extracting the files I get the following error:

"Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed."

Is this Bad Media ?

Re: Installation of Windows 2008 Standard fails to proceed on DL380..

Sounds like you need to load the raid drivers or use smartstart.
    (advanced button by the drives configuraton)
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Thanks Dumber.

Funny thing about SmartStart -- it doesn't seem to like Windows server 2008 64-bit installations.

See this thread

I couldn't use SmartStart for that exact same reason as stated in the thread, so i went about installing windows the good old fashioned way -- by booting up the DVD.

But since this was my first HP server along with the first time i'm setting up windows 2008, and I'm so used to seeing " Press F6 to install SCSI/RAID drivers"

silly rabbit. I guess i would have to download and extract the P400 Smart Array drivers to a USB key and load from there during installation, right ?

Comment

..lol

I'm sorry guys, this is getting embarrassing but i'm really not sure what i'm doing wrong.

When i get to the "Where do you want to Install Windows ?" screen.

I have my Disk options.

I select the Disk I want to setup the array, select "Load Driver" and load the P400 driver. I then select next and i get the following:

"Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation"

=\

I loaded 2 different versions of the windows 2008 64bit driver and get the same message.

what am i doing wrong ?

Comment

You are probably using the wrong or old version of smartstart.
          This one is supporting Windows 2008 X64
          http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...46059649962d35
          Type: Software - CD-ROM
          Version: 8.15 (17 Nov 2008 )
          Operating System(s): Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for 64-bit Extended Systems, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 x64, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (AMD64/EM64T), Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server (x86-64), SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (AMD64/EM64T), SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 (AMD64/EM64T)

Setup and installation for HP ProLiant
          ML and DL 300, 500 and 700 series, HP ProLiant BL Servers, and HP Blade System c-Class along with supported server options.
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

I've been downloading that as we speak in hopes of getting this going..

Thanks,

Comment

So, I just tried the 8.15 version of Smart Start and it still doesn't work.

When i get to the point where i need to browse for media source, i point to the following location

/mount/dvd

Once i continue, i get the following error:

Invalid Entry :/mount/dvd

this is pure craziness.

Comment

Just wanted to provide an update to those that may be interested:

Spoke to an HP rep and they indicated for me to try the following:

• set S6 dip switch to ON ( System Maintenance Switch ), Power up the server, receive the maintenance prompt, shut down the server.
                • Turn server back on and upgrade the BIOS
                • reboot
                • Pop in Firmware Maintenance CD and update all firmware
                • reboot
                • Place smart start 8.15 and try installation.

I'm going to report back on whether this works out for me.

Comment

Well lets hope it works.
                  let us know
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands

Comment

Surely you forgot "stand with one leg in a bucket of cold custard" during even numbered steps in the procedure?

However, with a bit of effort they could have made it really complicated
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Okay, so here it is...the solution..

I can't even imagine this happening to everyone, but here goes:

• HP tech had me boot into the BIOS (RBSU) and go to Advanced Options --> Restore Default Settings\Erase Boot Partition.
                      • Once i pressed enter on that, the server rebooted on its own.
                      • While booting, i went into the RAID controller (ORCA) and deleted then recreated the logical partitions.
                      • Once i did this, i ran the windows 2008 install on its own, without using Smart Start, and...
                      • The installation succeeded!!

This is the first time i'm touching windows 2008 and it definitely feels different.

Thanks for everyone's feedback..

Comment

Thanks for posting back. Unusual fix, but hey whatever works for you
                        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hey guys it works for me.

Comment

This is Prince Artakazezs reporting from NIgeria. I have battled with this problem for 48 hrs until i came upon this forum from google. I just follwed the solution which involved my deleting and recreating the logicall drives and re-running the operating system and wallah, the installation was completed without any further trouble.
                            I recommend this solution to all and FYI i was installing windows 2008 server o/s on a DL380 G5 hp proliant server running smartstart 8.15

Thanks man, u saved my sleep.

Comment

I'll bookmark this solution. In a months time I'll be doing the same. Good choice of server by the way.

Comment

Working...
                              X