Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to automatically synchronize time and time zone on Server 2008

Hello everyone,

I work on a cruise ship which is currently crossing the Atlantic ocean. We are having about 5 time zone changes in 7 days.

We are having a couple of Windows Server 2008 in use. Now we have the issue, that after every time zone change we have to manually change the time zone on every server. We started now, to change only some important ones everytime and the others just ever couple of days, when we have to connect to those server.
    The DC is Windows 2003 Server, also the rest of the servers. Clients are mostly Vista with some XP leftovers. (this just more FYI )

With Vista, we use the Group Policy Preferences from a 2008 Server to add it to the GPP's and after a log off / log on, the user has the new time. But that doesnt work with the servers.

So, now my question
    How do i do that in the "best and cleanest" way? With cleanest i mean, i dont want to make a big hick hack to get it correct. I'm pretty sure, that we are not the only guys on the seven seas (or even on land) that want to automatically update the time on the servers.

What i already tried:
    i was playing around with the net time command but normaly it ends up with a System error 1314, required privilege is not held by the client. Even if i try and run the cmd as administrator it doenst work. It says command completed successfully but the time and timezone stays the same..
    I tried the w32tm command, but dont get on a green tree with that either

Thank you very much for your help

PS: I love this forum! I found so many time help in here

Re: How to automatically synchronize time and time zone on Server 2008

Set the Server 2003 as the NTP and point all the other Servers to time sync from that. Then you only need to change the one server.

Gareth has done the research so just click on the working link. http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=30377
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The working link from the other thread is... http://windowsitpro.com/article/arti...tp-server.html

That will take you through the steps required to setup an NTP server and point other Windows machines at it. Usual warnings about modifying the registry apply.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Have you ever tried that, or is that just in microsoft theory?

I set on our DC1 the LocalNTP to 1 and rebooted it. Then i set in one of our 2008 server the
        net time /setsntp:<ip of DC1>. Additionally i set the Log = 1 and the Period to 24 (which should update the time every hour). Then i changed the timezone on DC1 to something off topic. Now i'm waiting since 6hours already and the 2008 server still has the same time (and not the time from DC1). I rebooted the 2008 Server also 2 times so far.

Is it possible, that this NTP only updates the time, but not the timezone? Because, the time is "correct", but it's just in the wrong timezone (if you know what i mean?).

Thanks for your help
        Last edited by StanDaMan0505; 28th November 2008, 22:00.

Comment

You will need to set the correct timezone, yes.
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

See, and that's what im not want to do.

As we are moving through different time zones, i would like to have the correct time zone, as in our case not the time changes, but the time zone.

Is there no other way around?

Thanks for your help

Comment

No - the computer has no way of telling which timezone it is in.
              Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by StanDaMan0505 View Post
                Hello everyone,

I work on a cruise ship which is currently crossing the Atlantic ocean. We are having about 5 time zone changes in 7 days.
                Man, forget about time zones and Win2008. How do I get hired to work where you work? LOL
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

LOL!!!

Apply for an IT job on a 6 star cruise line (the one and only real one ). I'm sure they would hire YOU!! LOL.

No opening at the moment, sorry.

Back to topic:
                  We do it the following way on the 2003 server.
                  Every time zone change we run manually a task which copies the new time zone settings .reg file to the NETLOGON folder. Then every 2003 server picks it up (scheduled task again) and imports it. But due to the new security settings in 2008, this doesn't work anymore..

Does anyone have an idea, how we could do that in the 2008 family. As on Vista, all the users have to log off and on again, to get the new time, which is also not the clean way, which i would prefer.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by StanDaMan0505
                    As on Vista, all the users have to log off and on again, to get the new time,..........
                    Huh??? How has this pigs breakfast been setup? Vista should auto update every 5 or 10 minutes WITHOUT the need to logoff & on.

Why do you not follow the instructions in the link Gareth posted. Make one server an NTP and then point the rest of the servers to update their time from it. Then you only have ONE Server to change the time on.
                    Last edited by biggles77; 1st December 2008, 02:07. Reason: typo
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Ok, once more.. The time is not the problem, but the timezone. The timezone will only be updated during log in... BUT VISTA ist not my main problem. "They" can life with a reboot once a day (or whatever).

My main concern are the 2008 servers.

Thanks for any help

Comment

It's not the time he's talking about now - it's the timezone. You can't set that over NTP (similar to DHCP options maybe?) because the machine has no way (natively) of knowing where on the globe it is. Maybe there is a 3rd party solution that uses GPS to set the timezone...
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by StanDaMan0505 View Post
                          Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Have you ever tried that, or is that just in microsoft theory?

I set on our DC1 the LocalNTP to 1 and rebooted it. Then i set in one of our 2008 server the
                          net time /setsntp:<ip of DC1>. Additionally i set the Log = 1 and the Period to 24 (which should update the time every hour). Then i changed the timezone on DC1 to something off topic. Now i'm waiting since 6hours already and the 2008 server still has the same time (and not the time from DC1). I rebooted the 2008 Server also 2 times so far.

Is it possible, that this NTP only updates the time, but not the timezone? Because, the time is "correct", but it's just in the wrong timezone (if you know what i mean?).

Thanks for your help
                          I don't think that time sync has any effect on time zones. From the server's prospective, they couldn't care less on what time zone they're at. All that matters is the relevant time to GMT. As long as that's correct, it doesn't matter what time zone you're in.
                          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Ok, thanks for all the replies.

Some of our applications do need the correct time AND the correct time zone. So, i guess i will keep on do it manually where it is needed

Thank you very much and have a successful day

Comment

Working...
                            X