Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding first Win2008 server into existing win2003 envionrment (was: Winserver 2008)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding first Win2008 server into existing win2003 envionrment (was: Winserver 2008)

I am going to introduce my first Windows 2008 server into my existing windows 2003 D envionrment.

It's going to be a member server ( hosting exchange 2007 )

Is there anything i need to do to AD before i introduce a windows 2008 server ?

Thanks,

Re: Winserver 2008.

As a Member server... no, it just like joining any other server or client.
    For exchange you might need some preparations but I'm not an exchange guy
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Member server is fairly painless but if you want advice on Exchange then it would be good to post a little more about your forest/domain structure.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

i could have sworn i needed to do something to introduce the very first 08 box ? or it could just me being a pessimist..

Forest Domain Structure is as follows:

Root Domain

two 32bit windows 2003 r2 domain controllers in FFL mode.

Child of Root Domain

single 32but windows 2003 r2 domain controller.

I have an existing exchange 2003 SP1 server sitting on windows 2000 SP4.

I understand i have to run, this is going off the top of my head and is not intended to be precise:

adprep / preparADTopology

adprep / preparelegacypermissions ( allow communications to exchange2003)

adprep / forestprep

adprep / domainprep

I've read in an article that in you are joining an exchange2007 box into a 32bit AD environment, some of the setup tools need to be ran from the 32 bit exchange2007 cd, which is reserved for training/labs -- is this accurate ?

Comment

Nope only when you add your first W2k8 DC
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

32 bit Exchange tools are fine and supported to prep the forest/domain.
            Get another DC in the child domain as well otherwise you are looking for trouble.

Where are you putting the Exchange servers?
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

Andy --

32 bit Exchange tools are fine and supported to prep the forest/domain.
              Get another DC in the child domain as well otherwise you are looking for trouble.
              Do you mean 64 bit Exchange tools ?

I currently have a 32 bit AD infrastructure and will be introducing a 64 bit windows 2008 OS with Exchange 2007.

Are the adprep commands close to correct ?

I actually plan on decommissioning that child domain before the exchange migration. I plan on removing that domain all together and make in an OU in our root domain -- there isn't a need for it initially.

Comment

The preparation tools can be run from the 32bit installation media if you have 32bit DCs and therefore can't run the 64bit cd on them. Installing 32bit Full Exchange 2007 isn't supported in a prod network however the tools (management console and prep bits) are supported for use.

The info is here:
                http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb125224.aspx
                cheers
                Andy

Comment

Choose a better topic for your thread!

Originally posted by hboogz View Post
                  I am going to introduce my first Windows 2008 server into my existing windows 2003 D envionrment.

It's going to be a member server ( hosting exchange 2007 )

Is there anything i need to do to AD before i introduce a windows 2008 server ?

Thanks,
                  Make sure you pick a better topic for your next thread. Failing to do so will result in your account being suspended for 2 weeks.
                  Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Re: Adding first Win2008 server into existing win2003 envionrment (was: Winserver 200

Apologies to you and everyone that may not have particularly liked the thread topic.

Comment

Re: Adding first Win2008 server into existing win2003 envionrment (was: Winserver 200

Originally posted by hboogz View Post
                      Apologies to you and everyone that may not have particularly liked the thread topic.
                      It's not that we didn't "like" the thread topic. The thread topic is not descriptive and does not specify the thread's content and meaning. Period. Please read the forum rules.
                      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Understood Daniel.

Comment

Working...
                        X