Joining server 2008 to server 2003 domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining server 2008 to server 2003 domain

I am trying to join these 2 but some problem is driveing me crazy.
    When i run dcpromo and come to the end i get notification that valid user account for for win 2008 machine cannot be found.
    I made acc on win 2003 domain controler...but no effect...anyone knows what it can be?
    ps...did adprep

Re: Joining server 2008 to server 2003 domain

Just to clarify, you are trying to promote a Server 2008 member server to become a DC in your domain?

What is the functional level of your domain?

How many existing DCs do you have and what OS/edition are they running?

Do you have any other problems that could suggest a problem with your domain? DNS in particular? Anything in any event logs?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

yes,,,i am trying to promote member server to dc...i have one win 2003 r2 server and funcional level of domain 2003.
      One of the logs are these:

The DFS Replication service failed to contact domain controller to access configuration information. Replication is stopped. The service will try again during the next configuration polling cycle, which will occur in 60 minutes. This event can be caused by TCP/IP connectivity, firewall, Active Directory Domain Services, or DNS issues.

Additional Information:
      Error: 160 (One or more arguments are not correct.)

Everything else is normal...nothing that would suggest what it could be the problem.
      At he end of dcpromo it gives me the error:
      Network credentials:
      The operation failed because:the domain controler could not be contacted for the domain mydomain.com that contained an account for this computer.
      Make the comuter a member of workgroup then rejoin the domain before retrying the promotion.
      Access is denied.

I did this whole operation once before without problems but now its killing me.
      Any advice?

thanks a lot

Comment

Have you Forset and Domain prepped your DCs?

Dave

Comment

He said he had at the very end of his first post. Although knowing if a forest prep had also been done would be nice.
          Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

As chance would have it I am having this exact same problem. Been working on this for two days. My scenario is that I have a 2008 Standard Virtual member server on an SBS2003 SP1 domain that I am trying to promote to a DC. I have done the Forest and Domain prep, basically following the MS Technet procedure (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc708131.aspx). When doing the DCPROMO I am getting these errors in the debug log:

Failed to find a DC for domain <DOMAIN NAME>: 5
            Failed to get domain controller for account <MACHINE ACCOUNT> (5)

While troubleshooting this I learned that I had to add the Domain Admins group to the "Enable computer and user accounts to be trusted for delegation" policy, which made no difference. Thinking this may be a virtual or HyperV issue I attempted to promote the virtual host (2008 server standard) and received the same errors. I have verified that the account I am using has enterprise and schema privileges, that DNS is configured and names are resolving correctly, and no firewalls on the systems in question are enabled. DCDiag on the SBS box returns no errors. Another variable that I don't think is involved but I'll mention it anyway is that I am working remotely via a LogMeIn connection.

I will mention that I am able to join or remove the 2008 system from the domain without any problems.

If anybody can suggest further troubleshooting options I'd be most gratefull.

Regards,

Steve Tyng
            Last edited by SteveT44; 14th November 2008, 16:42.

Comment

Have you installed DNS on the 2003 server or/and the 2008 server?
              On the 2008 server, whats the address of the DNS server it is pointing to?
              Do you have Reverse DNS zone set up?
              Can you do DNS lookups ok?

Comment

I just spent many hours yesterday joining a virtual 2008 server to a 2003 virtual domain using VMware Fusion on a Mac. I'm typing on the 2003 server now. It fought me every step of the way. The forestprep, domainprep, gpprep and rodcprep I performed on the 2003 server caused me no end of errors. I'm sure most (all) were my fault. It's the little things that kill ya. For example:
                I agree that you should double check the DNS server that the 2008 server is pointing to. Make sure the 2008 server has a unique, static Ip address. Make sure you can reach the public internet on the 2008 machine after you point the DNS to the 2003 server. Use no Public DNS servers - just the 2003 DNS server and it's preinstalled forewarders. Make sure the 2008 server gets joined to the 2003 domain after pointing the DNS properly and before dcpromo. Make sure DNS is in Native mode. Also if you are working virtual make sure any shared resources are disconnected. Check forest function level twice. Check GC settings. Create Reverse zone and PRT records.
                I'm getting an nslookup error on the 2008 server even though everythging seems to have replicated. I think it's related to IPV6 because ":: 1" is listed as the 1st DNS server in IPconfig. Everything works so I moved on.

Regards,
                Timmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Comment

To Sakal:
                  Is the 2008 server joined to the 2003 domain? If so use the 2003 administrator account to do dcpromo. Check DNS setting as was previously stated.
                  Timmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Comment

Sorry for my late answer,but i fixed it.Everytime i tryed to join server 2008 as additional domain controler was unscucessfull because there was some error with kerberos .So i messed with properties on computer acc of server 2008 on server 2003 domain controler and did it.ithink it was some problem on delegation tab or something there but i was so frustrated that i did not remember what it was.
                    3 days i had nightmares.So i hope that this will help to somebody.
                    Just to say,i did adprep domainprep and forestprep,dns,nslookup was working perfectly,all zones set up,dns pointing to dc 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by sakal View Post
                      Sorry for my late answer,but i fixed it.Everytime i tryed to join server 2008 as additional domain controler was unscucessfull because there was some error with kerberos .So i messed with properties on computer acc of server 2008 on server 2003 domain controler and did it.ithink it was some problem on delegation tab or something there but i was so frustrated that i did not remember what it was.
                      3 days i had nightmares.So i hope that this will help to somebody.
                      Just to say,i did adprep domainprep and forestprep,dns,nslookup was working perfectly,all zones set up,dns pointing to dc 2003.
                      Thanks for sharing, but too bad you did not bother telling us EXACTLY what fixed it. It's a pity, because this way other people will not be able to learn how to solve the issue from this thread.
                      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I'm glad to see Sakal fixed his issue but mine remains. I have noted something interesting that may be related to my DCPromo problem. While doing a gpupdate on the server I am trying to promote some errors were noted. I ran the Group Policy Results wizard in GP Management as suggested by the gpupdate. An error was listed under the Computer Configuration Summery - Component Status:
                        Group Policy Infrastructure Failed

Group Policy Infrastructure failed due to the error listed below.

The network is not present or not started.

Note: Due to the GP Core failure, none of the other Group Policy components processed their policy. Consequently, status information for the other components is not available.
                        This error makes sense in that if the machine cannot get it's GP definitions then I can see DCPromo failing with Access Denied errors. I've searched "Group Policy Infrastructure Failed" and found many references but none in combination with the "The network is not present or not started".

The network is obviously present on this machine and I am able to browse the network and have full access to the SYSVOL share on the DC.

Anybody have any thoughts on this issue?

Regards,

Steve Tyng

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
                          Thanks for sharing, but too bad you did not bother telling us EXACTLY what fixed it. It's a pity, because this way other people will not be able to learn how to solve the issue from this thread.
                          Ok..here is it what i think that help.Like i said i fas so frustrated that i tryed a lot of things and not so sure what did help .Didnt say that i dont want to explain and belive me that i am very greatefull for help from all of you.Ithink that this forum is one of the best and you did a great job here Daniel
                          On picture that i will attach here you will see properties of Windows server 2008 that i was trying to promote to domain controler in Windows severe 2003 domain.
                          This is computer acc of server 2008 on DC 2003 domain controler.
                          I think that when i marked "Use any authentication protocole" windows server 2008 was succesfully promoted to domain controler.
                          Hope that this will help someone with this or similar problem
                          Attached Files

Comment

Sakal's suggestion with the delegation settings didn't do anything in my case. I am going to install a virtual 03 server and see if I can get that to dcpromo. If anything, it will tell me if it's an issue with 08 or the current 03 domain and/or dc.

Steve Tyng

Comment

steve...i had similar problem but te problem vas with isa server 2006...if u use it look at isa logs and give us some errors here

Comment

Working...
                              X