Only Administrator can run Application properly using RemoteApp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only Administrator can run Application properly using RemoteApp

I have been stuck with this issue for more than a week now.

When running the RemoteApp using the administrator account, everything works fine. This is not the case when using one of the domain user accounts.

The application access another server which is a database server (oracle). I have tried many things including making the user account that I am trying to use menber of the Administrators group.

Running the Application via RemoteApp or Remote Desktop using a Domain User Account, it does not work properly. But it works fine when using the Administrator account. This is only when running this specific application. I have tested by running other applications e.g Windows Paint, Wordpad & UltraIso with a Domain User Account and it works fine. Only with this specific application.

It looks as if the application requires users to have elevated permissions somewhere. I have no idea where. Yet when making the user part of Domain Admin Group does not help.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Only Administrator can run Application properly using RemoteApp

Contact the application developers. Sounds like they made a poorly designed product.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Your problem is with UAC. The built-in Administrator account by default is exempt from UAC all other accounts are not. Since UAC doesn't work over TS you either need to disable UAC or get on the application developer to make changes.

Comment

I've encountered this problem with Sage apps. Try installing the program outside of the Program Files folder, ie C:\Sage then set the permissions for everyone to have full control.
        If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

Originally posted by g00ner View Post
          set the permissions for everyone to have full control.
          Not the best idea.
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally Posted by gforceindustries
            Not the best idea.
            Sometimes needs must...

The Program Files folder on Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista is a protected folder and programs are prevented from writing any data to this folder or any of its subfolders. This prevents some programs from writing to data files and configuration files which are essential for them to operate correctly. To enable some programs to update and maintain their own data files and configuration files, they must be installed in a folder other than C:\Program Files, occasionally full control must be given the the users too.
            If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

There are very few circumstances under which you would want to grant users Full Control to a resource. If they need read/write/modify access, then give them Modify. I'd be very surprised if the software in question requires the user to be granted the extra permissions included with Full Control, such as the ability to change the owner or permissions of a file. That should all be configured by the software installer when the software is first installed.
              Gareth Howells

Comment

Your point is conceeded.

Originally Posted by gforceindustries
                That should all be configured by the software installer when the software is first installed.
                If this were true of all software we wouldn't need support forums!! Ahh nirvana

Comment

Found a solution.

In Local Security Policy on the Terminal Server, Domain Users must be able to "Create Global Objects". So I added the Domain\Group to the allowed Users and everything started to work 100%.

The above is not 100% correct. I just realised that I only added the 1 Domain User account I was testing with. But when adding all Domain Users, the application does not work. I must have given the Test User permission somewhere else as well. No idea where. But adding the accounts to allow "Create Global Objects" definately plays a role. When removing the test user the application stops working.

Found this solution here -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821546

Now I need to find out where else I gave the Test User Account permissions.
                  Last edited by nazzeem; 5th November 2008, 14:06.

Comment

Working...
                  X