Cannot access IIS website from inside LAN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot access IIS website from inside LAN

I have a website on a webserver that I cannot access from my internal LAN, this works perfectly from the outside so I know my ports are set up correctly on my firewall, I have looked everywhere for a solution but all in vain.
    On trying to access the website from LAN it sort of tries to open it and then times out. I can normaly see the default IIS7 page if I don`t change the content but even then the image times out (just shows an [x]) with the default grey background.

I normaly use the domain name, typing the internal IP address works ok from inside LAN but typing my public IP does the same as explained.

From the webserver itself everything works ok.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Jamo

Re: Cannot access IIS website from inside LAN

Hi have you told your internal dns server how to get to it?

Maybe this might help a bit. (pointing to the internal webserver)

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=29052
    Last edited by uk_network; 23rd October 2008, 23:15.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Am afraid that didn't help, any more suggestions mate?

Comment

well the external stuff works fine, it's just an internal name resolution issue by the sounds of it. you said u can get to it via ip i.e. http://192.168.0.10

A bit more info really.
        Like does ur webserver host multiple sites.
        do you have a forward lookup zone for site dns?
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Yes, I can get to the site via http://192.168.0.1 from any pc on the LAN and I do have multiple websites yes.

Do I need a forward lookup zone for internal PCs?

Also what's strange is that the website loads a bit and fails in the middle of it like in the attached image.

Comment

so correct me where i'm wrong...

ok, so the website works perfectly via ip internally? http://192.168.0.1/

when u type www.company.com it looks external and then resolves to ur external ip so that the things aren't displayed properly???

if so, in dns create a primary forward lookup zone called company.com (same name as the website (dont include www.)

In your forward lookup zone for company.com create a A host record.
            in the top Name (uses parent domain name if blank) type www
            and put the ip address which hosts the internal site, (192.168.0.1)
            check that in the FQDN section it says www.company.com

that way it will be directed to ur internal server.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Are you using the same domain name for the external presence as well as for the Active Directory domain name?

I.e. Website: www.kuku.co.il
              Internal AD domain name: kuku.co.il

?

If that is correct, you need to add a WWW host record (A record) to the internal DNS under the zone that has the kuku.co.il domain name, and point it to the IP address of the webserver.
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Senior Premier Field Engineer
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

uk_network, would this mean that I have to create a primary forward lookup for every website I host on my server? I had no problems under Windows Server 2003 under the same server settings though.

I wil try your suggestion and see how this goes, thanks.

Daniel, No am not, internal AD domain name is server.local

Comment

Yeah, give it a try then.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

uk_network, just done it and it's a no, just don't want to know.

What I've noticed is that in my firewall log, network traffic to my website from networked PCs says i.e src-ip: 192.168.0.10 dst-ip: 192.168.0.1 while outside traffic says src-ip: 123.123.123.123(visitor ip) dst-ip: 111.111.111.111 (my public ip) could the problem be that my networked PCs aren't resolving to my public ip and how can I change this.

Thanks.

Comment

Also with Server 2003 I used to forward http traffic from port 80 to 127.0.0.1 through RRAS, with Server 2008 this does not seem have any effect, how can I achieve this?

Thanks again.

Comment

Your webserver is internal so why would u want ur internal pc's to look external to to get a website that is hosted internally?

on ur internal pc's do an ipconfig/flushdns, then try the website again.
                        Last edited by uk_network; 26th October 2008, 12:27.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

I'd prefer pointing to the public ip so that I know that my websites are working as they should be from the outside, I once had a website working from my network but not from the outside and only discovered after a few days that this was the case.

Comment

Working...
                          X