Moving Win2k3 DC to Win2k8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Win2k3 DC to Win2k8

Hi I have a Win2003 Server Std that is my DC which also is my Exchange 2k3I have a new server with Win2008 St 32bit installedI would like to make this 2008 Server the DC, and move all fsmo roles to it, its also going to be my file server... leave the Exchange running on the 2003 box.whats the best way to approach it.should I DCPRomo first on 2008 Server and add it as an additional DC.... and from there?

Re: Moving Win2k3 DC to Win2k8

Would you like to demote the W2k3 box to a member server?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I guess so is it advised? will it cause problems?

Comment

You can't demote a DC if it has Exchange on it.

Comment

thats fine then, so what should I do?

Comment

run forestprep and domainprep on the 2003 DC using the 2008 DVD.
            then promote the 2008 as a DC and move FSMO roles as you wanted.

Comment

that doesnt sound too bad....
              only thing is I have to copy all the data over to the new server as its the files/login server/dns/dhcp as well....

will I have to do anything with the DNS records? or will they replicate over on there own when I do the dcpromo.

another question - since the current 2003 DC is also the Exchange 2003 Server
              after the 2008 is the DC
              when creating new user accounts, will it have to be done in 2 steps?
              1. user account create on 2008 Dc
              2. Exchange account on the Exchange server

Thanks,

Comment

I strongly suggest that you take some time to read the product documentation and help file.

Upgrading your AD from Win2003 to Win2008 is not much different than adding the first Win2003 R2 DC to a Win2003 AD.

DNS will work fine unless you mess with it.

Exchange management is the same as it was before. It is strongly suggested that you manage it either from the Exchange server itself (or via RDP to it) or from a Windows 2003/XP machine with the ESM and AD Management tools installed.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

DHCP will be a straight forward move though as you have to keep the Exchange server as it is you perhaps don't need to worry about moving that.

Providing DNS is AD integrated, it will just be the case of installing DNS on windows 2008 server and it will automatically replicate.

With regards to moving the FSMO roles to the new W2k8 server, do some research with regards to Exchange 2003. I have had a problem in the past after demoting a DC to a member server and then installing Exchange. The SPNs had to be reset so it didn't point to itself. Also, as Exchange will already point to itself with its SPN's, you want to make sure that Exchange will not be effected.

Comment

Working...
                  X