No announcement yet.

Windows 2008 Print Management

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2008 Print Management

hi there

I have built a Windows 2008 Print server for our domain, and am now looking to give a group of users (IT Support Staff) the abilitiy to manage the printers - including removing and installing - without being local Administrators.

I have put them in the Print Operators group which doesn't seem to help, after searching the web I found a similar post and they had changed the following settings

1. Computer Configuration\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Right Assignments\Load and Unload Drivers group policy.

2. Computer Configuration\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Devices: Prevent users from installing printer drivers, Configured to Disabled.

This has made no difference, so any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: Windows 2008 Print Management

Hi, have you tried putting the groups in the security tab on the printer properties on the print server?
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Re: Windows 2008 Print Management

With regards to the settings you changed with regards to Load/Unload Device Drivers, I take it you added the IT Support Staff group to them.

Did you do this change locally or via Group Policy?
      Have you carried out the gpresult command on the Print Server to see if the policy has been enforced?
      Can a member of that Group now install a Print Driver?