Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie question! - most likely DNS!

Hi folks,

I am setting up a small development domain (lets call it DEV.COM for sake of simplicity/security), separate from the main company one (COMPANY.COM)

I have set up a Windows 2008 domain consisting of 2 DCs (each with DNS) and 1 Windows 2008 Standard installation (for sql).
    Both domains share the same class C addressing set.

Everything is fine and they all talk to each other fine, and my users accounts and group policy etc all appears to be ok.
    I have done all the basic steps i.e. providing consistent DNS etc

This is independent of the main company network, but I want my domain to
    a) be seen by theirs (ping, name resolution etc)
    b) to see theirs (ping, name resolution etc)
    c) access the internet (i have the main dns, proxy info etc)

I presume (maybe wrongly) that i need to set a DNS forwarder to the parent domain so that clients on DEV.COM can 'see' the main network & the internet.

Any thoughts / guidelines would be appreciated

rich

Re: Newbie question! - most likely DNS!

Originally posted by r5d4 View Post
    a) be seen by theirs (ping, name resolution etc)
    Create an AD integrated conditional forwarder on “DEV.com” DNS to forward any DNS queries of “COMPANY.com” domain to the Company's domain’s DNS server. This could be done by running the following command on one of “DEV.com” DNS servers : DnsCmd DEVDCServer /ZoneAdd company.com /DsForwarder xx.xx.xx.xx (IP Address of the Compeny's Domain’s DNS Server).
    b) to see theirs (ping, name resolution etc)
    Create an AD integrated conditional forwarder on “COMPENY.com” DNS to forward any DNS queries of “DEV.com” domain to the Company's domain’s DNS server. This could be done by running the following command on one of “COMPANY.com” DNS servers : DnsCmd COMPANYDCServer /ZoneAdd dev.com /DsForwarder xx.xx.xx.xx (IP Address of the DEV's Domain’s DNS Server).
    c) access the internet (i have the main dns, proxy info etc)
    are they going to access the Internet Directly or via a proxy server?
    If a Proxy server is going to be used, would both domains workstations/Servers would be using the same Proxy machine or each domain has it's separate Proxy machine?
    Last edited by Akila; 7th October 2008, 20:45.

Comment

Re: Newbie question! - most likely DNS!

Use an IP for the Proxy address. Akila has identified the DNS requirements.

Comment

Working...
      X