Group Policy Not being applied to new users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Policy Not being applied to new users

Apologies if this was meant to go in the GPO section.

Ok, heres the deal. Our company has been looking at migrating some servers to 2008. As a test, I built a new server & installed 2008 Enterprise on it & installed all the apps & features we currently use on our W2K3 R2 servers.

It will be a terminal server. The server is joined to a domain & authenticates with a separate W2K3 DC server. AD is not installed on this (new) server. I installed & created 3 physical drives C (OS ) , P (Profiles) & Z (Data).

Ihave been working away on this server for the past few weeks ironing out all the little problems & today are at the stage where I can get other users to log on.

My own profile was created in the default C:\users but i have modified the registry to make all subsequent profiles install themselves in the P (profiles drive).

Here is my problem. When new users log on they get a new profile created in P:\ Users , that part is ok, but they dont get the GPO applied to their account that I do. I have a GPO that has folder redirection for start menu. The other users I am trying to log on are in the same OU as me, are members of the same groups & have the same permissions as me( I copied my account).

When I run a gpresult & RSOP I have the same membership & permissions & all members are having their accounts applied from the same OU/GPO. But new users dont get the same start menu as me.... why? What am i missing or can try? Im a bit stumped now.

Re: Group Policy Not being applied to new users

Oops sorry, have worked it out.

It was a bit of an unusual issue. I found that before I applied the group policy that redirected users folders to c:\start menu & edited the registry to direct all new profiles to P drive, users didn't have any sort of start menu which was correct.

But after I made the change I expected new users to be created in P:\users & to have the correct group policy applied.

What I found was, that in the registry, it remembered the accounts I previously logged on with & remembered where their profiles were supposed to be stored, despite me entering a new location. The registry was telling the new profile it has previous details associated with that SID & where to look for user details. But AD was saying "go here for your start menu", so there was conflict.

I had to delete all the user entries out of the registry that pointed to the old path & it was all good then.

Comment

Re: Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing your answer with us! I'm sure others will also benefit from knowing what was wrong and how you fixed it.

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

For anyone interested, here is the link & path for making users profiles appear on another drive or location than the default:

c:\documents & settings (W2k & W2K3)
        %SystemDrive%\Users (Windows 200

http://therealshrimp.blogspot.com/20...n-of-user.html
        Last edited by mobius2011; 20th September 2008, 06:02. Reason: It substituted a smiley when I typed in w2k 8, so i changed the word to 2008

Comment

It's useful if you want to move user data out of system partition.
          Just a little question... if you have only one partititon and you put user profile for example on D:\Data, will user data be loaded or not?

Comment

Just a little question... if you have only one partititon and you put user profile for example on D:\Data, will user data be loaded or not?
            Funny enough, yes in a way, the profile still loads. Maybe someone else could explain why, but I stumbled on this by mistake. I made P:\users the default location for profiles, but while troubleshooting, pulled the power & SATA cable out of P drive & went to log users on.

I completely forgot to change the registry back tp %systemdrive%\users & users were logged in the profile name "temp" which appeared in C:\users . The user logging on in this fashion gets a warning message saying "windows could not load your default profile & will give you a temporary profile" or something like that & then it logs you on.

I usually set clients up with a drive dedicated to just profiles, as it neatly keeps them all in one place & doesnt impact on the performance of the drive the OS is on.

The link I included in the last post says it is for W2K3, but it works just the same for 2008 server I found.

Comment

Working...
            X