Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New DC shows as unavailable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New DC shows as unavailable

    Hey

    I just added a 2008 DC to our 2003 enviorment. For reasons unknown the 2008 server shows itself as unavailable. check included screenshot.
    all dns/ad has successfully replicated to the new server, and sysvol is shared.
    I have previously encountered this problem, which resulted in group policys not working after i transfered FSMO roles. back then i removed AD from the 2008 server, and setup a 2003 instead. That is not possible this time.
    I hope someone has any idea as to what is wrong.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MichaelVP; 18th August 2008, 08:12. Reason: change screenshot

  • #2
    Re: New DC shows as unavailable

    Personally I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that it's a Windows 2008 DC or not. I would suspect a communication issue. BTW, did the new DC properly register SRV records in the DNS?
    Cheers,

    Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Senior Premier Field Engineer
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: New DC shows as unavailable

      Originally posted by danielp View Post
      Personally I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that it's a Windows 2008 DC or not. I would suspect a communication issue. BTW, did the new DC properly register SRV records in the DNS?
      Yes it did.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: New DC shows as unavailable

        If you disable the 2008 firewall does it still show as unavailable?
        cheers
        Andy

        Please read this before you post:


        Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: New DC shows as unavailable

          Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
          If you disable the 2008 firewall does it still show as unavailable?
          Yes unfortunetly it does.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: New DC shows as unavailable

            Looks like it isn't just you
            http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/...-2d77c0672b91/

            EDIT: You don't have any firewalls between the servers do you? Checkpoint etc?
            cheers
            Andy

            Please read this before you post:


            Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: New DC shows as unavailable

              A question.

              what does epmap service do? using portqry i noticed it is stated as "not listening" on my new server, while it says "listening or filtered" on the old.
              could that have anything to do with my problem? If so any ideas on how to fix it?

              EDIT:

              Ran: portqry -n myserver -p udp -e 389
              reply was "Server did not respond to LDAP query"

              Ran the same command on the old server, and that answered.
              I'm not sure how this helps me though, still dont know how to fix it, also i dont understand why my servers seems to be replicating fine, when i add users etc.

              Seems to work fine if i test with tcp instead of udp though.
              Last edited by MichaelVP; 18th August 2008, 11:25. Reason: added stuff

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: New DC shows as unavailable

                Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
                Looks like it isn't just you
                http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/...-2d77c0672b91/

                EDIT: You don't have any firewalls between the servers do you? Checkpoint etc?

                No nothing at all.

                The last post in that link you posted is mine.
                the msft mods answer seems kinda weird to me.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: New DC shows as unavailable

                  Sorry, didn't notice the similarity in name!

                  He is saying that it shows "Unavailable" because you are already connected to the server so you would just be reconnecting to it. Therefore if you had another 2008 box there you would see that as available if you were connected to another server.
                  If you connect to the 2003 box does it still show the 2008 as unavailable?
                  cheers
                  Andy

                  Please read this before you post:


                  Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: New DC shows as unavailable

                    Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
                    Sorry, didn't notice the similarity in name!

                    He is saying that it shows "Unavailable" because you are already connected to the server so you would just be reconnecting to it. Therefore if you had another 2008 box there you would see that as available if you were connected to another server.
                    If you connect to the 2003 box does it still show the 2008 as unavailable?
                    Yes it does. what he wrote is wrong.
                    In my test setup i promoted a 2008 server to my 2003 enviorment, and both servers shows as online there. no matter which server i am connected too.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: New DC shows as unavailable

                      When i try to connect to domain controller from my 2003 server, it shows the 2008 server as not being writeable. Does that give anyone any idea?
                      Attached Files

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X