Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Change WS2008 logon screen to 2003/XP style?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change WS2008 logon screen to 2003/XP style?

I absolutely *hate* the WS2008 logon screen for domain joined servers. It takes several clicks to logon, plus the available domains are not listed. I can't see how anyone in their right mind thought the change could be good. How can I revert the logon screen back to the 2003/XP style with the drop-down for the domains?

Re: Change WS2008 logon screen to 2003/XP style?

I personally don't know if this can be done, but if you find a way do let us know...
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I search all over the net I couldn't really find a way doing so.
      I am tried looking and I don't have the time for this, I think I'll just open an SA support Ticket, let them deal with it.
      I'll keep you posted on the results

Comment

Found this in the policies, but it does not apply.

Always use classic logon

Setting Path:
        Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Logon

Supported On:
        At least Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Windows Server 2003 family

This setting forces the user to log on to the computer using the classic logon screen. By default, a workgroup is set to use the simple logon screen. This setting only works when the computer is not on a domain.
        [Powershell]
        Start-DayDream
        Set-Location Malibu Beach
        Get-Drink
        Lay-Back
        Start-Sleep
        Wake-Up!
        Resume-Service
        Write-Warning
        [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

Do not display last logged on user, bring back the usernamme/pasword box.
          Yet the overall look and feel is still Windows Server 2008.
          [Powershell]
          Start-DayDream
          Set-Location Malibu Beach
          Get-Drink
          Lay-Back
          Start-Sleep
          Wake-Up!
          Resume-Service
          Write-Warning
          [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

here is the official response I got from Microsoft Premier Support.
            it doesn't look promising.

Microsoft Support Case SRZ080804000113

This is in continuation to my previous email.

According to your problem description, it appears that you have Windows Server 2008 and want to revert its logon screen to the old 2003/XP style with drop-down options for domains being listed on it, as it was in Windows Server 2003 ?

It is not possible to get exact same look because the Gina functionality from Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 has been deprecated and removed from Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008. However, you can use a few policies to get a similar functionality & feeling.

These are 2 policies found under [Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options] :-

(1) Interactive logon: Do not display last user name
            This security setting determines whether the name of the last user to log on to the computer is displayed in the Windows logon screen.
            If this policy is enabled, the name of the last user to successfully log on is not displayed in the Log On to Windows dialog box.
            If this policy is disabled, the name of the last user to log on is displayed.
            Default: Disabled

(2) Interactive logon: Do not require CTRL+ALT+DEL
            This security setting determines whether pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL is required before a user can log on.
            If this policy is enabled on a computer, a user is not required to press CTRL+ALT+DEL to log on. Not having to press CTRL+ALT+DEL leaves users susceptible to attacks that attempt to intercept the users' passwords. Requiring CTRL+ALT+DEL before users log on ensures that users are communicating by means of a trusted path when entering their passwords.
            If this policy is disabled, any user is required to press CTRL+ALT+DEL before logging on to Windows (unless they are using a smart card for Windows logon).
            Default: Disabled

You can set these policy settings, both local or via domain group policy.

Once you configure these policies, a user will have to enter his/her credentials. You will not have the capability to view a list of domains but you can login to other domains using "Domain\Username" syntax, so the functionality is almost the same.

Kindly refer to following links for more information :-
            (1) Windows 2008 Server Logon Screen :- http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/...-3ee8f7525f1c/
            (2) Microsoft Graphical Identification and Authentication (GINA) :- http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb756900.aspx
            (3) Interactive logon: Do not display last user name :- http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window...358ae1033.mspx
            (4) Interactive logon: Do not require CTRL+ALT+DEL :- http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

Please let me know if the above information is helpful and reply on how to proceed from here-on.

Comment

Originally posted by Akila View Post
              I absolutely *hate* the WS2008 logon screen for domain joined servers. It takes several clicks to logon, plus the available domains are not listed. I can't see how anyone in their right mind thought the change could be good. How can I revert the logon screen back to the 2003/XP style with the drop-down for the domains?
              I do hate it too but there is simply no way ...

Comment

Working...
              X