Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 2008 Server Stops accepting connections from Windows 2003 Server. Possible S

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2008 Server Stops accepting connections from Windows 2003 Server. Possible S

I am running a Windows 2003 Native Active Directory. I recently installed a Windows 2008 Server. I preped the forest and domain and promoted the Windows 2008 server to a domain controller. The Windows 2008 domain controller runs fine, but after a few hours or days, it stops accepting UNC request from pre Windows 2008 server. If I try to map using UNC from a Windows 2003 or older, it never respond and never errors out. If I try to map from a Windows 2008 server or Vista, it responds without any problems. When I reboot the Windows 2008 domain controller everything will work fine for a few hours or days and it will act up again. There's no error messages in the application or system logs to point me in the correct direction. I know this problem is somehow associated with SMB compatibility issues. Windows 2008 uses SMB2 while Windows 2003 and older uses SMB1. Any info in this matter is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Windows 2008 Server Stops accepting connections from Windows 2003 Server. Possib

While I don't know the solution to your problem, it sound very interesting and I will keep an eye on this thread.

BTW, did you try to disable the TCP advanced settings such as the IPv4 Large Send Offload?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Re: Windows 2008 Server Stops accepting connections from Windows 2003 Server. Possib

Originally posted by danielp View Post
      While I don't know the solution to your problem, it sound very interesting and I will keep an eye on this thread.

BTW, did you try to disable the TCP advanced settings such as the IPv4 Large Send Offload?
      I did disable the Large Send Offload. The problem still came back.

Comment

I also don't know this problem, actually I don't know quite a lot of windows 2008.
        However a sniffertrace might be interesting to see what he does with the transmitted data.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

if you believe that it is an SMB related issue then try disabling smb2 and see if the problem transfers over to your Vista and 2k8 machines.

here is an article on how to do it.

http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/arc...f-smb-2-0.aspx
          Stacey Smith
          Sr. Systems Engineer

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane --Samuel Clemens

Comment

Working...
          X