Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with using Server 2008 as simple router

I have the following setup

One server has two interfaces, one public and one private one.

The public interface is a 192.168.10.0 /24 network and the private one a 172.168.1.0 /24

Server 1
    Nic 1 :
    IP : 192.168.10.191
    Mask : /24
    Gateway : 192.168.10.1
    DNS : localhost (local DNS forwards requests to an external DNS server)

Nic 2 :
    IP : 172.168.1.1
    Gateway : n/a
    DNS : localhost

Server 2 :
    Nic 1 :
    IP : 172.168.1.2
    Gateway : 172.168.1.1
    DNS : 172.168.1.1

I have then added the Routing role to server 1 (2008 Enterprise) and started / configured RRAS with "custom" and "lan routing only".

What settings do I have to do to "make it work" ?

I can ping the rras server from the 2nd member server and using nslookup shows that DNS resolution works as well, but there is no internet connectivity.

Re: Problem with using Server 2008 as simple router

Forget the Internet connectivity. Did you check to see if the router functions and passes packets from one interface to the other? Try a traceroute and see.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

It didn't route at all .. but the installation was bust because of someones stupidity (deleted wrong VM) so I had to start from scratch .. that time I installed the NAT option rather than local routing which worked just fine

Comment

Well remember that NAT translates addresses, so perhaps it was just a bad (or non existent) configuration of your routing tables in the first attempt.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
          Well remember that NAT translates addresses, so perhaps it was just a bad (or non existent) configuration of your routing tables in the first attempt.
          Probably none-existend ... I just started to look into RRAS so I am a bit n00bish with it

Comment

NIC1 looks like it's already NATed. Why can't each device route via 192.168.10.1 rather than going via Server 1?
            Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Working...
            X