DC Promo 2003 with 2008 member server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Promo 2003 with 2008 member server

I recently added a 2008 Terminal Server to my network as a member server. I have a 2003 DC which I ran adprep on in order to do this. I want to add a second DC and I only have a license for 2003 on the new machine. I can't run DC promo on it because the schema was extended.

I HAVE done this in the past with a 2000 server in a 2003 domain and it allows you to run adprep AFTER promoting the machine. There must be some work around for this.

I really need to get this accomplished ASAP because the hardware my DC is on is unstable and I need to get the new box installed.

Thanks

Re: DC Promo 2003 with 2008 member server

So you have one Win2003 DC, you added a Win2008 member server, and now you need to add another Win2003 DC. Right?

So what's the problem?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Yes sir....

Comment

When you add the 2008 member server, you need to run Adprep /forest and /domain which extends the schema and now ehen I run dcpromo on the new 2003 machine, I get an error saying the schema contains the wrong numbers of elements and I can not complete the promotion. I'll attempt it again and get the exact error.

Comment

Why do you think you need to extend the Schema to add a member server? That's never been the case before - i.e. you could add as many 2003 member servers to a 2000 domain as you liked (or even an NT4 domain) without ANY schema changes... but try to add a DC and you would get problems.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
            Why do you think you need to extend the Schema to add a member server? That's never been the case before - i.e. you could add as many 2003 member servers to a 2000 domain as you liked (or even an NT4 domain) without ANY schema changes... but try to add a DC and you would get problems.
            x2

I just added few 2008 Servers (members) to an existing 2003 AD domain, no problem with that.

Comment

Working...
            X