SMB Shares stop responding in Server 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMB Shares stop responding in Server 2008

We have recently installed a new Windows 2008 Enterprise Edition 64-bit server.
    The server is hosting host user's home directories as well as other shares.
    At this time this is the only function of the server therefore the only server role enabled is "File Services".

Not long after migrating userís home directories and other shares we have noticed very slow login times on some clients. In addition to that as some shares on that server were completely unavailable to some clients but worked perfectly fine on others.

After investigating the problem we have found that the SMB service just stops responding after a random period of time to some clients. Strangely enough other clients can still access the same shares.
    Moreover the problem seems to get worse over time so that the SMB service stops responding to more and more clients.

There are no event logs of this neither on the clients nor on the 2008 server that could help with troubleshooting.

A reboot of the 2008 file server seems to solve the problem immediately but it keeps reoccurring.

We have already performed a complete reinstall of the operating system partition. Strangely that did not seem to solve the problem.
    Even more strange is that we bought 2 servers at the same time both with identical hardware and both installed using the same installation media and both running the same services (general file sharing and users home directories) but only ONE is having the problem so far.

Any help solving this problem would be much appreciated.

Re: SMB Shares stop responding in Server 2008

What hardware/server are you using? What NIC are the servers using?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

We are having this same problem as of today. tosabi tell me if have found anything that can be helpful.

Thank You,

Steve

Comment

Hopefully the OP will honor us with his presence and reply to this thread... I hate to wait for clarification answers, it seems like they think we have nothing better to do with our lives...

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I am having the exact same problem. After a fresh reboot the Windows 2008 Server works fine for a few hours, days, and after that it will flake out. It is hit or miss because the server will still accept connections from any OS Vista or Windows 2008. If the OS is Windows 2003 or older they cannot connect to the Windows 2008 machine. I have searched everywhere on a registry edit/hack to allow both SMB1 and SMB2 to work on the Windows 2008 machine. I have not found any pertinent info thus far. I will update once I get something. If anybody gets the resolution before me, please let me know.

Comment

Probably irrelevant so please ignore. We had an Exchange 07 on 2008 and found a similar problem (stopped responding after a few days). Turning off the large send offload on the network card fixed it. Kinda reminded me of the whole tcp chimney thing.

EDIT: Probably make sure you definitely have the latest nic drivers.
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
              Probably irrelevant so please ignore. We had an Exchange 07 on 2008 and found a similar problem (stopped responding after a few days). Turning off the large send offload on the network card fixed it. Kinda reminded me of the whole tcp chimney thing.

EDIT: Probably make sure you definitely have the latest nic drivers.

Andy,

Thanks for the reply. I originally thought it was the NIC card as well. I already updated the drivers and continue to have the same problem. I will try disabling the Large Send Offload on the nic. BTW, I am using Intel pro 1000 PT Dual Port for nics. Thanks for your suggestion. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by dhmdo20 View Post
                Andy,

Thanks for the reply. I originally thought it was the NIC card as well. I already updated the drivers and continue to have the same problem. I will try disabling the Large Send Offload on the nic. BTW, I am using Intel pro 1000 PT Dual Port for nics. Thanks for your suggestion. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Disabling the Large Send Offload on the NIC did not resolve the problem. Does anybody else have an idea? Any info is very much appreciated. Thanks in advsance.

Comment

Same problem here, 64-bit Windows 2008 on brand new Dell hardware. Windows 2008/Vista machines connect no problem. Windows XP/2003 and Macs all experience a long lag when attempting to connect. It's extremely frustrating!!

Comment

Can someone run up Wireshark and see what happens between a given client and the server?
                    cheers
                    Andy

Comment

What antivirus are you running? I uninstalled my symantec antivirus and the problem has not occured for 2 days. I'm keeping my fingers cross and will post back on 08-04-08 with more results.

Comment

Actually that reminds me, Symantec have an endpoint protection that adds in an entry in the NIC "Teefer 2" might be worth removing that too if it is about.
                        cheers
                        Andy

Comment

Where would I turn that option off at? I hate to run a server without antivirus protection. I temporarily removed it to test, but plan on putting it back on once I find out what causes the problem. Any additional info is very much appreciated.

Comment

I apologize. I am running Symantec Corp 10.2

Comment

It is the "firewall/NAC" part of the protection not the AV side of things but I think it is just part of 11 so not a problem here. I have seen many problems with it (including mine which was the HP NIC software failing to see the cards). Just an idea that was all.
                              cheers
                              Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X