Memory maxing out but not showing in task manager

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory maxing out but not showing in task manager

This is a pretty strange problem so i hope someone can help, this may need to go into the VMWare forum but i'm not sure if its vmware or windows 2008. heres what i got, a windows 2008 64-bit server cleanly installed as a guest OS on a VMWare ESX 3 cluster. This server has installed on it Moss 2007(the enterprise version of sharepoint) 64bit, Mcafee antivirus, and thats about it. what happening is our ipmonitor service is seeing it as using up all the memory. the server has 8GB and the sharepoint deployment is still in the starting phase so we have maby 30 people on it. The SQL DB is on a seperate server which is working fine. what is really starge is if i look in task manager and add up all the memory usage that all the processes are using it shows about 2.5GB, and yes the "show processes for all users" is checked. when i look at the resouces that esx says its using it says 2.5GB and the performance in esx shows 2.5GB. at the button of the task manager it show physical memory at 97% and physical memory usage history under performance in the task manager show it at 7.55GB. i've also tryed using process monitor from sysinternals to see if their were any hidden process but i could find none. We have lots of other production servers on the ESX cluster and nothing else has a problem. the server is not slow and seems to be operating at an expected speed, but i'm very concerend about this mistery high memory usage.
    MCSE 2000\2003, A+
    00000001-00000011-00000011-00000111

Re: Memory maxing out but not showing in task manager

Try running some diagnostics on it with the Reliability and Performance > Data Collector Sets. See what comes up.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I would also take a look at these:

http://blogs.technet.com/stefan_goss...-moss-wss.aspx

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/83911 (May very well not apply to you as you said it is a clean install)

http://forum.soft32.com/windows/memo...ict359529.html
      Technology is only as good as those who use it

My tech blog - wiredtek.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks wiredteknologies that second link lead me to another link with the answer. i had to go to the VM in ESX, click edit settings, resouces, memory, and check unlimited. from what i understand ESX was using that server allocated memory to booloon for other servers. all my other VM's had the box checked already, i think it must have got unchecked when the memory was increased shourtly after it was setup. as soon as i did that it dropped from like 7.5GB to about 2GB.
        MCSE 2000\2003, A+
        00000001-00000011-00000011-00000111

Comment

what was the link that lead you to your solution so that others with similar issues will have an extra resource?

BTW, thanks for posting back your resolution
          Technology is only as good as those who use it

My tech blog - wiredtek.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
          X