Themes in Server 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Themes in Server 2008

Is there any way we can change or add themes on Windows Server 2008? If yes, how can I make the desktop look like Vista or XP Luna.themes?
    Thanks

Re: Themes in Server 2008

Windows Server 2008 is a Server operating system; the very presence of ANY kind of GUI annoys me. The GUI on Server OS's is, as it should be, basic. The server's job is to provide applications, data and services to client PCs... the only person who ever sees the GUI on the server is the Admin. Why on EARTH would the Admin, who logs in to the console once in a month of sundays, need a pretty GUI???

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

While I have to totally agree with Stonelaughter, I also feel you should get an answer to your question.

the answer is that you need to enable the desktop experience feature via the add feature function in the server manager.

The Desktop Experience feature is a new feature in the Microsoft® Windows Server® 2008 operating system. The Desktop Experience includes a variety of applications and features that are provided in the Windows Vista® operating system. If you use Windows Server 2008 as your primary operating system you might want to have some of these Windows Vista features available for your daily use.

What’s in the Desktop Experience feature
      The Desktop Experience feature includes the following Windows Vista components and features:

Windows Calendar

Windows Mail

Windows Media Player

Windows Aero™ and other desktop themes

Video for Windows (AVI support)

Windows Photo Gallery

Windows SideShow™

Windows Defender

Disk Cleanup

Sync Center

Sound Recorder

Character Map

Installing or uninstalling the Desktop Experience feature
      You can install or uninstall the Desktop Experience feature with the Initial Configuration Tasks Wizard or Server Manager.

To install Desktop Experience with Initial Configuration Tasks Wizard

In the Customize This Server section, click Add features.

Select the Desktop Experience check box, and then click Next.

Complete the wizard by clicking Install.

To install Desktop Experience with Server Manager

Open Server Manager: click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and click Server Manager.

Notes
      You can also open Server Manager by typing the following at a command prompt:
      servermanager.msc

In the Features Summary section, click Add features.

Select the Desktop Experience check box, and then click Next.

Complete the wizard by clicking Install.

You can uninstall Desktop Experience at any time by using either method above to start the Add Features Wizard. When the wizard opens, clear the Desktop Experience check box, click Next, and then click Remove to complete the wizard.
      Stacey Smith
      Sr. Systems Engineer

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane --Samuel Clemens

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
        Windows Server 2008 is a Server operating system; the very presence of ANY kind of GUI annoys me. The GUI on Server OS's is, as it should be, basic. The server's job is to provide applications, data and services to client PCs... the only person who ever sees the GUI on the server is the Admin. Why on EARTH would the Admin, who logs in to the console once in a month of sundays, need a pretty GUI???
        Here's a reason for doing it:

TERMINAL SERVER.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
        X