Replicating Primary Domain 2k3 server to Child domain 2k8 server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replicating Primary Domain 2k3 server to Child domain 2k8 server

I installed windows 2008 server on a backup server and configure it as Child Domain Controller. How do i replicate the primary domain Wk3 server to Child Domain WK8 server.

How do i upgrade Wk3 Server to Wk8 server without loosing any forest settings.

Thank You

Re: Replicating Primary Domain 2k3 server to Child domain 2k8 server

Child domain? Replicate? What are you talking about? I suggest you try to explain your setup and what exactly it is you're trying to do.

(btw, did you read the product help file or search on the upgrading issue of Win2003 to Win2008 AD? It's pretty simple and there's no need to re-invent the wheel...)
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I have windows 2003 server running on my AD server. I wish to upgrade to windows 2008 server. Howerver, i want to prevent downtime so i configured a backup server running windows 2008 server, i configured it as a Child domain, i want to replicate the Forest structure and the entire active directory so that while upgrade the parent controller users can logon to the child domain. Incase i receive any error during the upgrades the child domain can authenticate users while i fix the primary controller.

Thank you.

Comment

But why do it that way??? What sort of downtime do you think you'll have if you simply add new DCs to the EXISTING domain?

As for your question - you CANNOT transfer the role of forest root domain to a different domain in the forest, and needless to say, it would be foolish even to think about it.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thanks for your reply

How do i successfully configure a child domain with windows 2008 server as a backup/replicating server to the windows 2003 server parent domain ?

Thank you

Comment

It depends on what you consider to be "replicating". If you're looking to replicate user/group/machine accounts to the child domain then YOU CANNOT DO THAT.

I ask again, because to me it seems that you're either not knowledgeable enough about Active Directory, or you don't explain your needs well enough.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
              It depends on what you consider to be "replicating". If you're looking to replicate user/group/machine accounts to the child domain then YOU CANNOT DO THAT.

I ask again, because to me it seems that you're either not knowledgeable enough about Active Directory, or you don't explain your needs well enough.
              x2.

don't add a child domain for the wrong reasons, you are just complicating things.
              just add the 2008 to your existing domain (Promote it in to your existing Domain as a 2nd DC) and you would not have a down time what so ever, not even for 2 seconds.
              and as a bonus you get every thing replicated to the 2008 Domain controller without having to do anything

Any way DaniP , you should bump this topic to the Active Directory Section - In my opinion.
              Last edited by Akila; 11th July 2008, 17:02.

Comment

Thank you for your contributions.

How do i promote the Child domain as the second AD Controller

Thanks

Comment

Again you ask something that is impossible to do. I wrote to you in my previous email that it seems that you don't know much about AD. Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the basics BEFORE attempting to totally ruin your network.

You do NOT "promote" a child domain, you do NOT "replicate" a child domain. If you already have that child domain set up, simply DEMOTE the DC and turn it back into a member server, this "should" take care of the child domain and leave you with the parent domain.

HOWEVER, be warned that we don't have enough information about what you did and how your network looks like, so DO NOT do anything unless you ask an expert or are 100% sure of what you're about to do.
                  Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                  X