Windows Server 2008 Core - Cannot see more than 4GB of RAM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server 2008 Core - Cannot see more than 4GB of RAM

I installed a fresh install of Core onto a 4 Processor machine with 12GB of RAM. This is a 32-Bit Enterprise install. For some reason, the OS does not see the additional 8GB of RAM. I've searched the web and can only find issues with Windows Server 2003 or 2000 issues and those are solved with a /PAE switch in the boot.ini. Since there does not seem to be a boot.ini file within 2008 Server, I assume that there is some other way to address the memory issue?

BTW... The BIOS does recognize all of the 12GB of RAM.

Thanks,

treb

Re: Windows Server 2008 Core - Cannot see more than 4GB of RAM

32 bits of address space gives you 4,294,967,296 - or just under 4.3 billion - bytes; that's 4Gb.

(working : 2^32-1 = the number that "all the ones" gives you in a 32-bit number).

A 32 bit operating system is physically limited to 4Gb of address space, and that's that. If you want to address more then you need the 64 bit version.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I was under the impression that the Enterprise edition of Windows Server 2008 would allow me to use more than 4GB of RAM. At least that is what the older OS's allowed. Before there was a 64-Bit Edition of those OS's, that is.

Thanks,

treb

Comment

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ws_server_2008

The following table specifies the limits on physical memory for Windows Server 2008. Limits greater than 4 GB for 32-bit Windows assume that PAE is enabled.

Version / Limit in 32-bit Windows / Limit in 64-bit Windows
        WS2K8 Datacenter (full install) / 64 GB / 2 TB
        WS2K8 Datacenter (Server Core install) / 64 GB / 2 TB
        WS2K8 Enterprise / 64 GB / 2 TB
        WS2K8 Standard / 4 GB / 32 GB
        WS2K8 for Itanium-Based Systems / N/A / 2 TB
        Windows Web Server 2008 / 4 GB / 32 GB
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I stand corrected; the PAE option must do some stuff with paging because a 32 bit number only has 4 billion permutations...

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

So, here is what we did to get the Core server to recognize the full 12GB of RAM...

My boss found this link for Windows Vista 32-Bit... But it worked for Windows Server 2008 Ent. Core.

http://www.thegeeksweek.com/blog/ena...ows-vista.html

So, what we did was diable the NX and enable the PAE with these command lines:

1. BCDEdit /set nx AlwaysOff

2. BCDEdit /set PAE forceenable

3. Reboot

Not sure how important it was that we do these in this order, but it worked.

BTW... I am using the Core Server to host Virtual Servers with MS Virtual Server 2007 SP1. This is going to be my Dev network for a seperate Dev Domain.

Thanks for the input,

treb

Comment

Working...
            X