NTFS Permissions Conundrum

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTFS Permissions Conundrum

Is there any way that you can set folder permissions such that:

1. Members of a group can create files.
    2. Creators of files have full control over the files they create.
    3. Members of the group can read all files.
    4. Members of the group cannot change other user's files.

I've tried a number of things and the one sticky requirement is the last one. I use Allow Read, Write, and Execute for requirements 1 and 3. I use the CREATOR OWNER for requirement 2. But, users can always change other user's files because of the Write permission.
    Short of having users change permissions after they create a file, I'm stumped.

Re: NTFS Permissions Conundrum

Ok the only answer that I can think of for this is (what you probably already know) to create subfolders and set permissions for those to seperate out the read/write. Give everyone permission to read but only the folder own premission to write. I know of no other way to do this. Probably not the answer you were looking for but it is an option.

Any questions on this let me know.

Two things:
    1) If I wrote something wrong please please please let me know. I want to know ESPECIALLY if I am wrong.
    2) I have a tendency to write things that are misconstrued as being agressive or not so pleasant. That is not my intent.

Re: NTFS Permissions Conundrum

That's pretty much the conclusion I came to. Seems to me MS would find a way to allow this permission set up. Thx for the response.