Can't ping Core Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't ping Core Server

I hope this is the right forum, I didn't find one specifically for Server core.

We have setup a test lab domain. It has 2 domain controllers with 2003 Server, and two PE6500's with 2003 server. On the 6500's I have installed virtual servers and workstations that cover from 2000 to 2008 and even two server core virtuals, and all these can see each other and work perfectly.

I am setting up another domain controller with SC2008 to test that aspect, so far have installed the OS (2008 Core std), renamed it, rebooted it and run the following commands (thank you Daniel Petri!):

netsh interface ipv4 set address "local area connection" static <change to IP> <subnet> <gateway>
    netsh interface ipv4 add dnsserver name="local area connection" address=172.16.32.47
    netsh interface ipv4 add dnsserver name="local area connection" address=172.16.32.224 index=2
    netsh interface ipv4 add winsserver name="local area connection" address=172.16.32.47
    netsh interface ipv4 add winsserver name="local area connection" address=172.16.32.224 index=2
    slmgr –ipk <product key code>
    slmgr –ato
    netsh advfirewall set domainprofile state on
    netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="Remote Administration" new enable=yes
    netdom join <server name> /domain: whatever.com /userD:<user> /passwordD:<password>

All the commands ran smoothly and server was rebooted.

I have run updates from WSUS and rebooted again, and by this point my virtuals were visible from other servers, dameware, AD and our actual domain etc......but this one is not. It shows offline in AD and dameware and when I ping it from anywhere I get no reply. I know it's something simple but I'm stuck and stumped and any help would be appreciated veryyyy much.

Re: Can't ping Core Server

Try to totally disable the FW, see if you can reach it now. You might have a rule or more blocking the traffic.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Well apparently the ping feature is off by default in Server Core, and by some miracle overnight I'm able to see all three this morning from the network, dameware, each other.....and I never did a thing.

I'm sure I will encounter many more mysteries as I move further in this adventure, it's a fun challenge though and I'm glad to know this forum is here for help if needed. Thanks!

Comment

You might want to take a look at the tool I wrote for initial Server Core configuration: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/g...he-rescue.aspx

Much easier to get you up and running if you are not used to doing the things the "Core way".
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

How awesome, yo! Though it would take all the fun out of "the learning experience", I've become quite a fan of Core. I was getting a bit frustrated there for a bit then I found Daniel Petri, talk about hitting pay dirt! I will definitely download the configurator though, just to test it out. Thanks!

Beer, ewwww.
          Last edited by Debbie; 2nd June 2008, 17:16.

Comment

Working...
          X