Server 2008 CALs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2008 CALs

Are Server2008 and Server 2003 CALs interchangable?

I am speccing up a new Dell Server with Server 2008 and they only offer add-on CALs for Server 2003

I presume downgrade rights apply (Server 2008 CALs for use on Server 2003) but what about the reverse?

All help appreciated, before I have to take my life into my hands and phone Microsoft!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Server 2008 CALs

No,The CALS are not interchangeable..check this link

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...nsing-faq.aspx

MS does talk about downgrade rights too...
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...de-rights.aspx

But I am not really sure about upgrade rights..but to the best of my knowledge it may be possible if ur product is listed under SA.

Regards

Fazal
    Fazal Zaidi
    MCITP-Windows 2008,Exchange 2010,MCTS-Exchange 2007,2010,Lync 2010,MCSE-2000,2003,MCSA-2003,2008,2012,MCP,MCSE -Messaging 2013,ITIL

Comment

Thank you

I'd seen the first link, but it does not appear to make it clear anywhere the clients are different.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

from the reseller handbook...

Must customers who want to upgrade from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2008 obtain new licenses?

Customers who have covered their Windows Server licenses with Software Assurance do not need new server licenses. They have new version rights to the software as part of their Software Assurance benefits. Other customers who don’t have Software Assurance and want to upgrade from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2008 need to obtain new server licenses. Version
        upgrades are not available.

Customers who have Windows 2003 CALs or Windows 2003 External Connectors need to acquire new Windows Server 2008 CALs or Windows Server 2008 External Connector licenses in order to access and use Windows Server 2008 software.
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Thank you, Lior
          Exactly what I (didn't) want to hear
          Tom Jones
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

Comment

Hi Guys

Can you just reconfirm what i think, if you run a 2008 server you need 2008 CAL's, even if your server farm contains 2003 servers with corresponding licenses and 1 server2008.

ie

30 servers total
            29 on win 2003 with sufficient CAL's
            1 on win 2008 do i need 2008 cals equalling the 2003 amount (same ammount of people/devises will acces)

Regards

Ric

Comment

Originally posted by Richie View Post
              Hi Guys

Can you just reconfirm what i think, if you run a 2008 server you need 2008 CAL's, even if your server farm contains 2003 servers with corresponding licenses and 1 server2008.
              Thats absolutely correct Richie, add one user accessible 2008 server and you have to replace all your CALs.
              If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

Working...
              X