folders redirection not applied

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• folders redirection not applied

I Installed a DC server2008 in a small network, configured simple folder redirection for all users to a root folder (\\servername\users located in a separate hard disk).

However it doesn't work and no folders are created in the defined root path.

Defined root folder had been shared and given full security access to all users but it didn't help.

Server is acting as DNS but not as DHCP server since a router is managing the network. [this can not be changed]
    I also created a network drive for all users through "Group Policy Management Editor" and it was not applied either.

all PC's are XP PRO and have no particular problems connecting the server.

Thanks for anyone that will help

Dan

Re: folders redirection not applied

After a long night, I've found the simple solution:
    SERVER's ADDRESS WAS NOT ADDED TO THE DNS LIST OF USERS PC's !!!

Comment

Re: Thanks for sharing

Can you please give me some more info on this? What is a human error or a bug?

Anyway, thanks for sharing your answer with us! I'm sure others will also benefit from knowing what was wrong and how you fixed it.

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hi Daniel
        Thank you for your helpfull site.
        As I mentioned in my first post, Server is acting as DNS server but not as DHCP. All network configs are given by an external router that obviously does not publish server's address as one of the dns servers.
        Apparently, that's the reason why stations were not able to join the domain although they were able to reach all shared folders on server.

So, was it a bug? definitely not. It's probably can be called a human error although I cannot understand the reason server's DNS has to be defined in the stations.

Dan

Comment

Hold on, so you say that the clients never got the right DNS in the first place? Well that's something you should have known and fixed, it's that way since Win2000. Workstations and servers in an Active Directory environment must use an internal Win2000/2003/2008-based DNS that is properly configured and has the right records in order to join a domain and to properly function.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
          X