Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Showing network drive in clients my computer

Hey guys,

I'm having a problem getting a shared drive to automcatically appear on clients "My Computer" page.

I can share the drive ok but i'm finding i have to manually map the drive manually on the client side.

Am i missing out an option or method to automatically get the drive to appear.

Thanks for any help

Re: Showing network drive in clients my computer

When you initially map the drive, are you making sure that the "Reconnect at Logon" box is checked?
    blog.techscrawl.com

Comment

The drive won't appear automatically (although I think there are ways on a workgroup in network neighbourhood). How are your machines connected? You can create a logon script to automatically create them at log on or just manually do it if there are only a couple of machines.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308582
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hey,

At the moment its a simple setup, a couple of windows xp pro clients connected to Windows server 2008 set as a DC AD.

This is a test bed really so i can play around with a few things and get used to the enviroment as i usually work on more client side hardware/software and standalone machines.

I'm trying to work out how common tasks are done, one of which was file sharing. In the past i've been on networks where shared drives appear in my computer and i've wondered how it was done. I thought that a setting could automatically be used to show this drive in my computer, or rolling out a new shared drive would be a big headache for admins, having to configure each client individually.

What would be the most common way to do this in a large server enviroment.

I'm going to be starting a new job in a couple of months as an IT assistant so i'm trying to work out a lot of this stuff before i start so i can be a bit ahead of the game.

Thanks for your help

Comment

in large environments mappings are done using logon scripts and group policies

the syntax is:
          net use z: \\server\share

run net use /? for some more options
          ________
          SUZUKI TS250
          Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:39.
          Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Ahhh ok i see.

I've done some reading there on the area of group policies after i read your post. This seems to be a good method for me to experiment with.

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Working...
            X