Intel Link Aggregation(Teaming) on Core 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Link Aggregation(Teaming) on Core 2008

Has anyone tried this yet, I’ve searched all over the place but as yet cant work out how to team my Nics on a 2008 Core install?

I usually set it up in the ProSet utility and is fairly straight forward but of course that’s all GUI. I did try remote access to Device Manager but all the tabs that Intel usually put there were missing.

Thanks Gordon.

Re: Intel Link Aggregation(Teaming) on Core 2008

Excellant post!

I have't seen any articles explaining how this done as you said, it's normally configued through 3rd party applications. This could obviously affect the number of users willing to migrate to server core.

Looking forward to some replies

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

It really looks like this is a real pain in the a$$. There are a lot of features that at the moment seem not to have solution for a non-GUI environment.
      Few leads I found:
      - HP does have its White Paper regarding this issue. Looks like they added the driver to the PSP;
      - Intel does have a utility that allows you to Save/Restore NIC settings. Just a shot in the dark: install full 2008 Server, configure the teaming, save the settings, install 2008 Core and restore the settings. Maximum, it will work ;
      - also on Intel's site you have this White Paper: WMI Script Documentation, if you feel you want to script this with WMI.
      If you have posted the NIC model, I could have check on Intel's site if they have a driver for 2008 Server Core. So, please post the server model and the NIC model.
      These are my two cents...

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
      In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -
      «««««

Comment

on the Intel page look fot the unattanded (scripted) installation, there is a switch in there to enable teaming
        ________
        Bmw c1
        Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:32.
        Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Hi Sorinso

Thanks for your replies, i also saw the white paper on WMI but looked a bit OTT i've never realy done anything via WMI before

The Server is an Intel SR1500AL, and the Main board is a S5000PAL
          Looking at the Spec the NIC is:
          Two 10/100/1000 Intel® 82563EB PHYs supporting Intel® I/O Acceleration Technology

I think i will wait until Intel come up with a utility to do this but its certianly going to effect a lot of people!!

Gordon.

Comment

Hmmmm...
            They even did not have a NIC driver specific to 2008: [ drivers list ]
            To tell you the truth, in my opinion is manufacturer's fault more than Microsoft's... After all, 2008 Server Core is known to the public a long time now, and the manufacturers should have published tools for their devices that suit the OS product.
            But that's irrelevant for the moment ... What about the Save/Restore tool?

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
            In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -
            «««««

Comment

I dont have another Server the same thats avalible, and my Core has now gone live so its not an option but it might work your right. i did find some 2008 drivers for the Pro 1000 and i did install them using a bat file that came with drivers, though im unsure if it actually updated the drivers.

Your right though its Intels fault Realy.

Comment

Drivers for Vista/Server 2008 Intel Nics can be found here
                http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-006120.htm
                Stacey Smith
                Sr. Systems Engineer

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane --Samuel Clemens

Comment

from the Intel manual:

Windows Server 2008 Server Core
                  In Windows Server 2008 Server Core, the base driver can be installed using the Plug and Play Utility, PnPUtil.exe For more information on this utility, see http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true. (This link is maintained by the Microsoft Corporation and is subject to change.)

NOTE: Windows Server 2008 Server Core supports DMIX. However, teaming and VLANS are not supported.
                  NOTE: Setup.exe may also be used to install drivers, including DMIX, under Server Core. For details on accessing DMIX in the Device Manager, please refer to the Microsoft Server Core documentation at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...ervercore.mspx.
                  __________________________________________________ _____________

this is the rest of it:

Command Line Installation for Base Drivers and Intel? PROSet: Intel? Network Adapters User Guide

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Driver Installation
                  The driver install utility setup.exe allows unattended installation of drivers from a command line.

These utilities can be used to install the base driver, intermediate driver, and all management applications for supported devices.

NOTE: You must run setup.exe in a DOS Window in Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003. Setup.exe will not run on a computer booted to DOS.

Setup.exe Command Line Options
                  By setting the parameters in the command line, you can enable and disable management applications. If parameters are not specified, only existing components are updated.

Setup.exe support the following command line parameters:

Parameter Definition
                  ANS Advanced Network Services
                  "0", do not install ANS. If ANS is already installed, it will be uninstalled.

"1", install ANS (default).

NOTE: If the ANS parameter is set to ANS=1, both Intel PROSet and ANS will be installed.

DMIX PROSet for Windows Device Manager
                  "0", do not install Intel PROSet feature. If the Intel PROSet feature is already installed, it will be uninstalled.

"1", install Intel PROSet feature (default).

NOTE: If DMIX=0, ANS will not be installed. If DMIX=0 and Intel PROSet and ANS are already installed, Intel PROSet and ANS will be uninstalled.

SNMP Intel SNMP Agent
                  "0", do not install SNMP. If SNMP is already installed, it will be uninstalled.

"1", install SNMP (default).

NOTE: Although the default value for the SNMP parameter is 1 (install), the SNMP agent will only be installed if:
                  The Intel SNMP Agent is already installed. In this case, the SNMP agent will be updated.
                  The Windows SNMP service is installed. In this case, the SNMP window will pop up and you may cancel the installation if you do not want it installed.

BD Base Driver and IOATDMA Driver
                  "0", do not install the base driver.

"1", install the base driver (default).

LOG [log file name]
                  LOG allows you to enter a file name for the installer log file. The default name is C:\UmbInst.log.

-a Extract the components required for installing the base driver and I/OAT driver to C:\Program Files\Intel\Drivers. The directory where these files will be extracted to can be modified unless silent mode (/qn) is specified. If this parameter is specified, the installer will exit after the base driver and I/OAT driver are extracted. Any other parameters will be ignored.
                  -f Force a downgrade of the components being installed. NOTE: If the installed version is newer than the current version, this parameter needs to be set.

-v Display the current install package version.
                  /q[r|n] /q --- silent install optionsr Reduced GUI Install (only displays critical warning messages)
                  n Silent install

/l[i|w|e|a] /l --- log file option for DMIX and SNMP installation. Following are log switches:
                  i log status messages.
                  w log non-fatal warnings.
                  e log error messages.
                  a log the start of all actions.

NOTE: You must include a space between parameters.
                  NOTE: For Intel? I/O Acceleration Technology to function properly, you must reboot after driver installation.

Command line install examples
                  This section describes some examples used in command line installs.

Assume that setup.exe is in the root directory of the CD, D:\. You can modify the paths for different operating systems and CD layouts and apply the command line examples.

How to install the base driver on Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003:

D:\Setup DMIX=0 ANS=0 SNMP=0

How to install the base driver on Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003 using the LOG option:

D:\Setup LOG=C:\installBD.log DMIX=0 ANS=0 SNMP=0

How to install Intel PROSet and ANS silently on Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003 (32-bit version):

D:\Setup DMIX=1 ANS=1 /qn

How to install Intel PROSet without ANS silently on Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition:

D:\Setup DMIX=1 ANS=0 /qn

How to install components but deselect ANS for Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003:

D:\Setup DMIX=1 ANS=0 /qn /liew C:\install.log

The /liew log option provides a log file for the DMIX installation.
                  NOTE: To install teaming and VLAN support on a system that has adapter base drivers and Intel PROSet for Windows Device Manager installed, type the command line D:\Setup ANS=1.
                  ________
                  Suzuki Gsx-R1000
                  Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:33.

Comment

It seems that the real problem here is not lack of drivers, but lack of support of the utilities that come with the drivers and are supposed to deal with different set-ups, like teaming. Given the fact the 2008 Server Core is not a graphic environment, these tools are not working.
                    The important line is:
                    Originally posted by DYasny View Post
                    NOTE: Windows Server 2008 Server Core supports DMIX. However, teaming and VLANS are not supported.
                    Well done, DYasny !

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                    -
                    «««««

Comment

"not supported" doesn't necessarily mean "impossible"
                      the procedure to install the driver with the advanced options enabled from the command line might work
                      ________
                      Marijuana dispensaries
                      Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:34.

Comment

Originally posted by DYasny View Post
                        "not supported" doesn't necessarily mean "impossible"
                        Being an optimistic type of guy, I agree with you... Most computers and servers I met so far do not share my optimism

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                        -
                        «««««

Comment

well, having been on the job I am on right now for a while, I have had to utter that "not supported" phrase quite a few times. but if there was a solution I was aware of in spite of the lack of support, I would suggest it at the customer's own risk
                          ________
                          PAK MOTOR
                          Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:34.

Comment

Yeah Well done. i agree i suspect its the interface and not the driver thats still the issue. im sure in time Intel will give us a nice little tool (like Core Configurator) to do the Teaming and other ProSet features.

I will keep my eye on the drivers page and watch for the version number changes...

Thanks Again
                            Gordon

Comment

Working...
                            X