Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• server upgrade guidance

Hi everyone,

We are getting ready to upgrade our server (sbs2k) and want to get server 08, have not had much experience with either but, I got the 240 something trial for evaluation and just playing with for look and feel; have not had any issues any rebooting has been due to me telling it to. So, anyway...

I know i can't use the cd to upgrade it to 08 ; can I transfer FSMO role between 2k and 08 or do I have to seize them? I need the 64 but because I need exchange and I have already checked the hardware for compatibility and it is gtg.

Ok, so I do one of those options, I have looked but might have missed the answer ( I have been reading what I can on this for 2 days straight hehe), I read that you can transfer the exchange as an image or something of the sort, how/where can I find the steps to do this?

Oh, also how long does the dcpromo take, I always see just that do it but never the down time if any.

Thanks so much guys and gals, this place rocks!

Re: server upgrade guidance

Hold on. Your questions here suggest that you might not have ALL the required information to perform the live migration. For example, questions about FSMO, 64-bit, and the Exchange question, all give me the feeling that you should do some reading before you go live. Not in a production environment anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

To answer some of your questions -

FSMO should be transfered not seized, and yes, you can use 64-bit. As for Exchange - please re-phrase your question.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Oh, no sorry. The Exchange thing, I was just saying I need the 64 bit OS version because I need the Exchange Server which is only for 64 bit.

The FSMO thing, I was just curious because all the issues deal with upgrading SBS 2k3 to 2008 and not SBS 2k to 08 but, because 2k is not a supported OS for the standard upgrade by CD I didn't know if the 08 OS would recognize the FSMO roles from 2k by transfering.

And yes you're right, this will be the first server I will setup which is the reason for the low level tech questions lol, so I am sorry lol.

Thank you for your input so far well now I know you can transfer the FSMO from the 2k OS, believe me it's much appreciated

Comment

Hello tmsadmin,

I am going to migrate from sbs 2k3 to 2008\exch2007
        did your migrate worked ?
        any insights ?

thank you

Comment

if you're planning on using exchange 2007, you need the OS to be 64bit.
          there is actually a 32bit Exchange2007 version available from MSDN, but it's for testing purposes only, definitely not for a production environment.
          ________
          Arizona Medical Marijuana Dispensary
          Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:59.
          Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Originally posted by zigi99 View Post
            Hello tmsadmin,

I am going to migrate from sbs 2k3 to 2008\exch2007
            did your migrate worked ?
            any insights ?

thank you

i was going to migrate from sbs 2003 to 2008 as well, however after doing some reading i feel it is safer to use a sbs2003 to 2003 std transition pack and then put up a 2008 DC / exch 2007 server and transfer fsmo roles and profile folders and so on.

the other options is to either setup a 2008 and exchange 07 tranfer all profiles, mailboxes, ect. and then sieze the fsmo roles, which is not a good idea.
            Or you can setup a new domain and use admt 3.1 beta to migrate. that sounds like too big a project for me, and i dont like using a beta tool for that process. I think that is the recomended way though.

idībe interested in hearing what option you choose. Or comments to my approach.
            Last edited by MichaelVP; 26th June 2008, 09:54.

Comment

Working...
            X