replaceing 2003 with 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replaceing 2003 with 2008

So i added 2008 server to my 2003 domain with the intend to remove the 2003 server.

After running adprep domain and forest prep. There where no problems during installation of the new DC.

I started transfering the fsmo roles and rebooted the machines. then i could no longer manage my group policies from my old DC. could not connect to pdc master. so went through the event logs, and noticed a few errors, which i fixed. On 2008 the sysvol folder was not shared, and some problems with file replication. and on 2003 an error with msdtc. I fixed those, and still i was unable to connect to the pdc master.

when using server 2008 and clicking -> Active directory users and computers -> right click domain -> change domain controller it tells me my new server 2008 is unavailable and my 2003 is ok.

any ideas why? I no longer see any errors in my event log that would cause any problems.

additional informations:

Server 2003 is SP2

Have transfered the fsmo roles back to old dc, and that works fine.

It is a 2003 domain and a 2003 forest (was only 2000 forest when i installed the new server, but i have updated it)

Re: replaceing 2003 with 2008

What have you set for DNS on the servers? Do both look at the same location?
    Did you give sufficient time for replication as well? When you tranferred the roles back, can you check on the 2008 box what it thinks of where the fsmo roles are?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
      What have you set for DNS on the servers? Do both look at the same location?
      Did you give sufficient time for replication as well? When you tranferred the roles back, can you check on the 2008 box what it thinks of where the fsmo roles are?

both servers has dns set for its local ip first, and then the ip of the other server.
      When i run dcdiag it confirms connection between them.
      I have tried to fix the problem over tha past days, both servers have been rebooted a few times, so im sure they have replicated.

Edit: 2008 knows that 2003 holds the roles.
      Last edited by MichaelVP; 14th April 2008, 11:58.

Comment

forgot a little thing

2003 is x86
        2008 is x64

that dosent matter, right?

Comment

x86 and x64 should be irrelevant for this problem.

If you transfer one of the roles to the 2008 server and wait (or repadmin /syncall) does the 2008 server see the change ok?

You said there were a few issues that you fixed, do you remember what they were? Are both logs clean now?

The following was taken from
          http://www.biztechmagazine.com/article.asp?item_id=324
          note the gpprep bit

4. Prepare your schema

Just as when upgrading to a Windows Server 2003 functional level, you must use the Adprep.exe tool to prepare your forest and domain schema. Note that you must use the version of Adprep included on the Windows Server 2008 media in the \sources\adprep folder, even though you will need to run it from an existing Windows Server 2003 domain controller. Be sure to use 32-bit media when running Adprep from a 32-bit domain controller, and use 64-bit media for 64-bit domain controllers.

To prepare your Active Directory schema, follow these steps for each domain that you plan to upgrade:

1. Run Adprep/forestprep on your Schema Master with Enterprise Admins, Schema Admins and Domain Admins privileges. Wait for changes to replicate.
          2. Run Adprep/domainprep/gpprep on the Infrastructure Master with Domain Admin privileges. On Windows Server 2003 domains, youíll receive an error message caused by the unnecessary /gpprep parameter that you can ignore.
          3. On Windows Server 2003 domains, run Adprep/rodcprep on the Domain Naming Master with Domain Admin privileges.

Note: As long as your domain and forest are at the Windows Server 2003 functional level and youíve prepared the schema, you donít need to upgrade your entire domain to install a Windows Server 2008 RODC.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

thanks for your response.

Im on my way home now, will answer tomorrow.

just one thing. i did use adprep from my x64bit 2008 CD on my 2003 x84 domain (duh) i had no erroes during adprep /forestprep and /domainprep though.

Comment

Originally posted by mvp View Post
              thanks for your response.

Im on my way home now, will answer tomorrow.

just one thing. i did use adprep from my x64bit 2008 CD on my 2003 x84 domain (duh) i had no erroes during adprep /forestprep and /domainprep though.
              Hold on. You say that you used the 64-bit version of ADPERP on your 32-bit Win2003 DC??? I was under the impression that you couldn't do that...
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

AndyJG247:

I fixed a file replication error, that according to the event log was preventing 2008 from becomming a DC. also fixed an error that prevented sysvol from being shared. both where fixed by changeing the registry database. Those errors does no longer appear in the event log.
                Also. i fixed some msdtc error on server2003, when that was done it wrote a DC had been promoted. I dont see any changes though, server2008 still says unavailable when logging on to server2008, clicking Start -> administrative tools -> AD users and computers -> right click change domain controller. Shows 2003 as "OK".

About the gpprep, that is only if you run a 2000 domain. mine was 2003.

danielp:

yep i'm pretty sure i did that. without errors, and there has been no problem with my old DC, it still works like a charm.
                Last edited by MichaelVP; 15th April 2008, 09:32.

Comment

Working...
                X