Multiple Network Locations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Network Locations

Ok here we go ill try and explain better than the last time as ive learned alot more in the last week.

I Have a problem with Windows Server 2008 Networking.

Basically I have my server configured with 2 NICs one for Lan & one for Internet (WAN).

The problem I have is that they have both joined the same network location (Domain Network) but obviously this isnít correct what I want to achieve is to have the LAN as domain network and WAN as Public Network

As you will see from this screenshot it has both NICs currently in the domain network next to test.local http://www.nizzy.co.uk/problem.jpg

I Want One in Domain Network & the other in Public Network

The main problem is that because they have joined the same network location Incoming SMTP Stops working as soon as I configure RRAS which is a major problem for me.

Any Help Appreciated.

I Have been advised not to do this but i cant help but think this is the way i had my SBS box and my 2003 Server configured and they worked fine.

Re: Multiple Network Locations

Does one have an internal IP and one have an external IP?
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

One has a 192.10.100.x (Private) IP Address and the other has a 192.168.1.x (Public)

Comment

Originally posted by Nizzy View Post
        One has a 192.10.100.x (Private) IP Address and the other has a 192.168.1.x (Public)
        192.168.x.x is PRIVATE ONLY. Any packet with destinations in this range will likely be dropped by any internet router or switch. 192.10.x.x is a valid public address. Do you have them connected this way round or is that a typo?

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

No this is not a typo the WAN is connected to a netgear (cable) router therefore it will always get a 192.168x.x address unless there is a way to set it to have an external ip address.

And the 192.10.x.x is my Lan setup

this is the way i have it setup at the moment with my 2003 server and i have no problems.

The Server is routing traffic perfect i can get out to the internet on the server and on the test pc i have setup i can access files on the server and i can send mail internally and externally.

i can recieve internal mail but i cannot recieve external mail......this only happens when I enable RRAS.

if i disable RRAS then external mail starts working again problem is i need RRAS for VPN Clients and i obviously need exchange for email.

i have tested for the last week and a bit and from what i can tell its because of the both NICs are under domain network rather than a seperate domain network and public network.
          Last edited by Nizzy; 31st March 2008, 10:40.

Comment

Im extremely confused by this now i have re-installed windows and im back to the same point i was at before it seems that all incoming connections are blocked as soon as i enable RRAS.

If i telnet to the server address it fails but if i disable RRAS it works everytime RDP is the exact same

Comment

Enable RRAS and then run ipconfig/all on the server. Disable RRAS and then run ipconfig/all on the server. Post both results here.

Comment

Working...
              X