Wan Routin to Lan IP Address

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wan Routin to Lan IP Address

I Have Windows Server 2008 and the Internet was working to begin with but i am having a problem that i cant seem to figure out.

If i Open internet explorer and type in www.google.co.uk it finds the website not a problem but then just says waiting on www.google.co.uk so i decided to do a ping of google and it came back with some interesting results (See Below). it seems to be routing traffic to my LAN interface before it tries to go out on the WAN which is causing me a great deal of problems.

Any suggestions of where i have went wrong? im assuming its something in routing or DNS that i have missed i just can't see it.

Pinging www.l.google.com ⏎.249.93.104] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.10.100.3: Destination host unreachable.
    Reply from 66.249.93.104: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=237
    Reply from 66.249.93.104: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=237
    Reply from 66.249.93.104: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=237

Re: Wan Routin to Lan IP Address

Sorry ill leave a bit more Info

There are 2 NIC's Wan & Lan

Wan IP Address = 192.168.1.30
    Lan IP Address = 192.10.100.3

This is an enterprise server 2008 Running Exchange 2007, Active Directory, DNS, DHCP I am due to start a live install on friday migrating everything from SBS2003

I Can connect to it through Remote Desktop over WAN (House to Office)
    Last edited by Nizzy; 19th March 2008, 09:36.

Comment

I had this issue in my test environment when my 2008 DC acts as a gateway to my physical network.

You need to enable routing and remote access and then enable lan routing. Routing and remote access is hidden in the NAP role. Once you have installed it run the wizard and select custom configuration and then select LAN routing.

If you get stuck let me know and I will get some better instructions for you when I get home. I dont have a windows 2008 SRV at work

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
        I had this issue in my test environment when my 2008 DC acts as a gateway to my physical network.

You need to enable routing and remote access and then enable lan routing. Routing and remote access is hidden in the NAP role. Once you have installed it run the wizard and select custom configuration and then select LAN routing.

If you get stuck let me know and I will get some better instructions for you when I get home. I dont have a windows 2008 SRV at work

Michael
        thank you for your response, think i might need those better instructions i have just configured Routing and remote access enabled lan routing but still don't seem to be getting anywhere i have no clients on the network yet obviously its just initial setup , (think i need to get my head burried in those MCSA 2008 materials microsoft sent me) lol
        Last edited by Nizzy; 19th March 2008, 10:36.

Comment

Actually I was only getting this issue when trying to access a website from another machine connected to the Windows 2008 server. I could access the internet fine from the server.

Check your gateway settings to ensure there correct
          Does DNS resolve the website? use nslookup to check
          Do you have any proxy configured?

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Well nslookup comes back almost instant

DNS request timed out.
            timeout was 2 seconds.
            Default Server: UnKnown
            Address: ::1

> www.google.co.uk
            Server: UnKnown
            Address: ::1

Non-authoritative answer:
            Name: www.l.google.com
            Addresses: 66.249.93.104
            Aliases: www.google.co.uk
            www.google.com

>
            No Proxy Configured

Default Gateway is 192.168.1.1 (My Router) on my WAN
            Default Gateway on my Lan Seems to be blank (everytime i enter something it comes up with "warning multiple default gateways are intended to provide redundancy to a single network............Do You want to save this configuration?" i say yes and it doesnt save anything i say no and it doesnt save anything
            Last edited by Nizzy; 19th March 2008, 12:52.

Comment

Found this in event vwr but it was yesterday at 9am never had it since then

Log Name: DNS Server
              Source: Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Server-Service
              Date: 18/03/2008 08:53:19
              Event ID: 408
              Task Category: None
              Level: Error
              Keywords: Classic
              User: N/A
              Computer: computer.domain.local
              Description:
              The DNS server could not open socket for address 192.10.100.3.
              Verify that this is a valid IP address for the server computer. If it is NOT valid use the Interfaces dialog under Server Properties in the DNS Manager to remove it from the list of IP interfaces. Then stop and restart the DNS server. (If this was the only IP interface on this machine and the DNS server may not have started as a result of this error. In that case remove the DNS\Parameters\ ListenAddress value in the services section of the registry and restart.)

If this is a valid IP address for this machine, make sure that no other application (e.g. another DNS server) is running that would attempt to use the DNS port.

For more information, see "DNS server log reference" in the online Help.
              Event Xml:
              <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
              <System>
              <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Server-Service" Guid="{71A551F5-C893-4849-886B-B5EC8502641E}" EventSourceName="DNS" />
              <EventID Qualifiers="49152">408</EventID>
              <Version>0</Version>
              <Level>2</Level>
              <Task>0</Task>
              <Opcode>0</Opcode>
              <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
              <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-03-18T08:53:19.000Z" />
              <EventRecordID>24</EventRecordID>
              <Correlation />
              <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
              <Channel>DNS Server</Channel>
              <Computer>SCSENT.scs.local</Computer>
              <Security />
              </System>
              <EventData Name="DNS_EVENT_OPEN_SOCKET_FOR_ADDRESS">
              <Data Name="param1">192.10.100.3</Data>
              <Binary>
              </Binary>
              </EventData>
              </Event>
              Last edited by Nizzy; 19th March 2008, 12:50.

Comment

Try to disable the LAN nic and see if that works.

Michael
                Michael Armstrong
                www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Yeh that works first time every time,

I thought it would, as you will see in the ping results for some reason when i try to ping anything the server is pinging my Lan before it tries anything else.

So what does that mean...my minds completely gone ive spent so much time working on this starting to get worried the closer it gets to friday.
                  Last edited by Nizzy; 19th March 2008, 14:54.

Comment

Working...
                  X