Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS issues (was: New starter)

Hello all,
    After being an IT bod for a good couple of years I have recently bought a HP ProLiant box to start learning more about building network infrastructures from scratch. I have noticed a slight problem that is probably straight forward for most of you guys but seeing I do not know so much about DNS I cant find a solution (if there is one!):

First of all I better tell you about my setup.

I have a pretty decent connection at home but it is coming from an ADSL provider (was going to move this over to my fathers house which is sporting a 100mbit fiber connection) into a bog standard adsl router. Now this connection does have a static ip. From this router Ive got a cable into this ProLiant box which is given the local IP 192.168.1.5.
    In the SOA record for one domain I have the primary server set to the hostname of that box which is pointing to the local IP rather then the external. So this is where problem is appearing from. If I ping the domain name from an outside machine I get the local ip popping up.
    Now I have tried selecting another A host record I have created as primary server but as soon as I reload/refresh it pops back to the hostname/local ip again. It is obviously picking this up from my NIC and adding in my external IP as a secondary IP of that nick populates the A host record in that zone.
    How can I go around this problem? Is this setup even possible?

I guess I left quite alot of details out so I hope you have questions I can answer instead (its been a long day).

Cheers in advance!

Re: New starter

Is your question related to Windows 2008?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I would think it has something to do with DNS manager in Server 2008, yes. Why?

Comment

Because you didn't mention it being on a Windows 2008 box.

Try to explain your setup in easy words, how many NICs, what are their settings, and what is the problem.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

There is only one NIC on that box with where I have the internal IP setup (otherwise it wont route properly) but also added the external IP as an additional IP.
          In DNS manager for the domain I am working with I get automatically two A host records populated, one with the internal IP and one with the external IP.
          Basically most stuff works but when I go and ping the domain from an outside network I sometimes get the local IP as response.

How do I go about either "removing" the local host record from DNS manager or how do I let my NIC pass through the external IP from the router down to the box and only use that?

The goal of the setup is to make a single box serve websites and email and future stuff I want to play around with.

My setup is below:
          INTERNET <-> DRAYTEK ROUTER/FIREWALL <-> SERVER 2008 BOX with DNS/IIS/EXCHANGE

Hope that explains it better?

Comment

You need to set up forwarders on your DNS server to point to your router DNS or your ISP DNS addresses to allow access to internet.

1. Open DNS console
            2. Open properties of DNS server object
            3. Click on Forwarders tab
            4. Add IP addresses for ISP DNS servers or your router (which ever suits your network)

Then on the clients, you should then only configure DNS to point to your internal server and it will either resolve your internal DNS addresses or forward them on for internet addresses.

Comment

Originally posted by Snusmumriken View Post
              There is only one NIC on that box with where I have the internal IP setup (otherwise it wont route properly) but also added the external IP as an additional IP.
              Put in additional NIC and place the External IP on the newly added NIC.
              On the interface tab, change it to listen to only the internal nic (works within W2K3 so I assume it works within W2K
              Remove the A record which contain the external IP.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I have the three DNS server my ISP provides in there already. Again most stuff works but for any domain/zone that I add into the DNS manager the primary server automtically is the hostname of the box i.e hostname.domain.com, when I select to use my prim nameservers ns1.domain.com and refresh its back to hostname.domain.com which have the local/internal IP. When I go to that domain I get the page alright but it cant be right to have that internal ip as the primary server?

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                  Put in additional NIC and place the External IP on the newly added NIC.
                  On the interface tab, change it to listen to only the internal nic (works within W2K3 so I assume it works within W2K
                  Remove the A record which contain the external IP.
                  I was contemplating doing this but is this not a security risk?! I want to run IIS and Exchange of this box too

Comment

Re: DNS issues (was: New starter)

I've read your thread but can't quite grasp what it is your wanting out of your install. You mention IIS and Exchange so at a guess your really after Exchange EMail with Outlook Wed Access?

Firstly it sounds like you've set your Active Directory DNS to be the same as the DNS as your outside domain name. Whilst this isn't a big issue you will run into issues exactly like what you are experiencing. The DNS server running on the Windows Server believes that it is authoritative for the domain name that it is configured for. This is why when you try to visit www.yourdomain.com it will fail as there will be no www record configured on the Windows server.
                    You really have two options from this point onwards. Start over this time using yourdomain.local or add manual DNS entries to your server. Starting over would be the best bet but it depends on how much information you have stored in AD, I guess you could also try renaming the Domain (Google). When on the local domain name the DNS server will then go out onto the internet to resolve your external domain as it is no longer authoritative.

After doing the above install Exchange again and all you will need to do is forward ports 80 (or 443 for HTTPS) and 25 from your Draytek router to the internal IP of your Windows server. Your MX/A Name record for your external domain should be pointing to the external IP on your router. You will also need to add the external domain name to exchange in order for the server to know it routes mail for that domain. Then add the relevant email address to each user on the system.

You don't need to have a second NIC.
                    Last edited by ]SK[; 16th March 2008, 09:38.
                    Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Working...
                    X