X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2008 RTM already at SP1

I installed my first W2K08 server on my test lab and noticed the following:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...installed.html

Alot of people dont normally upgrade untill at least the first SP1 (I did with Vista). Looks like there's going to be a big uptake at release time

Michael
    Attached Files
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Windows 2008 RTM already at SP1

I heard that the reason for this is the fact that Win2008 already holds all the code that was placed into Vista SP1, so basically it qualifies for SP1...

That and the psychological issue with people waiting till SP1 is out. But that's a bit lame, isn't it?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

In the days of Windows 2000 the kernel source tree was the same for all 3 products (yes there were 4, but datacenter always remains its own kernel sources tree). Because XP was release before Server 2003, the sources tree split and that caused the developers to have to maintain both. Microsoft didn't like this and wanted to re-syncronized the kernel tree so that both Client and Server kernels were the same again. That is why Server 2008 shows as SP1 already. For the NT6.x kernels, the source tree will remain syncronized and unless some unforseen outcome, they will continue with this type of deployment from here on out which lightens the load on their developers.

Comment

I still have hope the core version will be made more elegant in management
        ________
        Witchcraft advice
        Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:15.
        Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Originally posted by DYasny View Post
          I still have hope the core version will be made more elegant in management
          Don't hope for Windows Explorer...
          Meanwhile, see the Server 2008 Command Line Reference.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Unsurprisingly, they also seem to work under Vista as well althogh I haven't tested all of them.

Have I mentioned how much I hate Vista?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
              Don't hope for Windows Explorer...
              Meanwhile, see the Server 2008 Command Line Reference.
              thanks I do know most of the cli tools pretty well, but I am used to the ease of use in linux and unix, where every configuration is done via a text file and very simple commands.
              in 2008core the commands are very long, hard to remember and NOT even tabbable.
              lots of things are not explained in the help for the commands. like if you want to install a role, in order to see it installed you need to run that through "start /w". That is actually not documented anywhere.
              also, to, for instance, enable a service on startup, instead of a simple command, you have to run a wsh script that puts a value into the registry.

MS have created powershell - not the best tool, but should be ideal for the CORE version, and surprisingly, you cannot install it, because .NET is not installable on CORE.

I can keep ranting forever about this crappy thing
              ________
              Herbalaire
              Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:15.

Comment

MS have created powershell - not the best tool, but should be ideal for the CORE version, and surprisingly, you cannot install it, because .NET is not installable on CORE.

I can keep ranting forever about this crappy thing
                And why is Powershell not the best tool? I think it's the most powerfull scripting shell every made for/by Microsoft.
                According the information I got Microsoft is working towards to enable powershell on the core environment.
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

well, if you're used to bash and ksh, powershell is rather weak anyhow, if MS manages to get powershell running on 2008core, that might improve things a bit. still a lot of things that are simply too complicated there.

btw, took me 15 minutes to start powershell up on a simple linux box, no GUI there at all.

oh, and yeah, I usually install perl on windows to do proper scripting
                  ________
                  Honda rc172
                  Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:16.

Comment

Wel if you get used to working with server core, i guess you will start managing your regular server using command line. I think its all a matter of getting used to.

I am sure that certain organizations will not use server core, because they lack the knowledge to manage these servers.

You'll have to admit that ones the server is up and running management is as easy as any other server, but it is setting that server up that feares certain people.

I see a nice future ahead
                    [Powershell]
                    Start-DayDream
                    Set-Location Malibu Beach
                    Get-Drink
                    Lay-Back
                    Start-Sleep
                    Wake-Up!
                    Resume-Service
                    Write-Warning
                    [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm used to working with all sorts of CLI based servers, and for now 2008core is the least user friendly of all of them. Even Netware 2 was easier.

my main problem is that the actual commands are very hard to access, being so long and untabbable. Also there is no proper help within the CLI (like the unix manpages) so you have to look up most of the commands.

anyhow, yeah, once it is set up - disable the firewall and get into the server with remote mmc Server Manager
                      ________
                      Weedmaps

Comment

Although some of the core commands might be confusing, my question is how many times will you need to actually perform those commands? Once? Twice in the life of a fully configured server?

Furthermore, my upcoming article about Server Core management will show you a damn cool management tool written by MVP Guy Teverovsky (who also happens to be on this site).

Hold on for more info.
                        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

well, if you're used to bash and ksh, powershell is rather weak
                          I fully agree. Bash and ksh is much more powerful however, Powerscript is much more powerful then vbs or kixtart.
                          I just see it as the next step
                          Marcel
                          Technical Consultant
                          Netherlands
                          http://www.phetios.com
                          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Daniel, that really depends on what you do for a living

I support system admins at work, have to set up lots of different OS every single day.
                            ________
                            HONDA ELYSION HISTORY

Comment

Well then, it won't be an issue for a guy like yourself after the 3rd or 4th time you do it...

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                              X