Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS Web Apps with not XP SP3 or Vista Sp1

Hi all,

I thought I would share this for those who want to mess with the TS WEB APPS in server 2008 but do not want to install XP SP3 or Vista SP1.

There are two ways you can do it.

1 - Remove IE 7 and use IE6.. it works fine and no Active X control errors.

2 - Use Firefox with the IE TAB plugin below is a screen shot of my server using this method.

Stacey Smith
    Sr. Systems Engineer

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane --Samuel Clemens

Re: TS Web Apps with not XP SP3 or Vista Sp1

I haven't tested it with FF, but if it's true then wow!!!

Thanks for the tip!
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Senior Premier Field Engineer
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Yes, everything is working on the test pc.
      Vista Ultimate IE TAB and Firefox.
      (the firefox thing was an accident..It's my default browser and I was testing the TS and launched by accident, thought what the heck lets switch to IE TAB, and wow it worked.)

Word, excel etc open and work just fine.

I still cant get the "East Print" working yet but I am sure thats a workstation permission issue that I haven't found.

I only get about an half hour day to tinker with this stuff. Lol and it's amazing how the sales staff gets angry when all the latest and greatest stuff doesn't work and yet they don't give you time.
      Stacey Smith
      Sr. Systems Engineer

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane --Samuel Clemens

Comment

Casual,

I have this problem:I can open application such as Word, Outlook from XP machine with SP3 but unable to see any remote app when using Firefox from XP machine without SP3. Any other work around from you is highly appreciated.

Support

Comment

Did you have the IE TAB plugin installed?
          Also What about IE? version 6 or 7?
          7 makes you have the active x plugin not matter what, 6 should just work.

Well lets just say i am not a power user by any means and I noticed bugs right away.

the screen shot below was mis-leading, that is IE 7 with the SP1. The other techs here are using IE 6 I am told.
          Stacey Smith
          Sr. Systems Engineer

Comment

Thank you for your reply.
            IE version I use in XP manchine is Firefox Version 2 with IE tab installed.
            If I can make TS web access to work with Firefox it will save me a lot hasle to install SP3 on all XP machines from customers because many IT department from customer do not want to use WUS or upgrade the machines to Vista yet.

I have another question. Did you export certificate from CA and import to the machine where TS web access is run? If so, please let me know more details of what you did, I will compare with what I did to see if I did anything incorrectly.

Again. Many thanks.

Support.

Comment

I am running everything on one dedicated machine.
              I created a self signed certificate for this as only our employees will be using it and also they connect to it over a VPN.
              Stacey Smith
              Sr. Systems Engineer

Comment

Dear Smith,

These days I'm working on TS RemoteApp, of course, including TS Web Access. And I encountered the same problem as you in the beginning, I mean, the problem described in your subject. Here is my testing result:

1) IE 6 able to access TS Web Apps?
                Answer: If you already upgrade the mstsc to version 6.0, even you are using IE 6, you can't access TS Web Apps, because the "Remote Desktop ActiveX plug-in" has already installed in your computer.

2) FireFox with "IE TAB" is a good method. Below is my solution for IE:

Step a): get below files from a computer running Windows Vista with RDP 6.1 or from server running Windows Server 2008:
                i) "mstsc.exe", "mstscax.dll" from %Systemroot%\system32
                ii) the related .mui files: "aaclient.mui", "mstsc.mui" and "mstscax.mui"

Step b): replace the old files on computers running Windows XP(with old RDP version) with the files above:
                i) "mstsc.exe", "mstscax.dll" in folder %Systemroot%\system32, %Systemroot%\system32\dllcache, %Systemroot%\ServicePackFiles\i386, %Systemroot%\LastGood\System32
                ii) "aaclient.mui", "mstsc.mui" and "mstscax.mui" in %Systemroot%\system32\en-us
                iii) Delete the file related mstsc.exe in %Systemroot%\Prefetch

Step c): (optional)
                i) try to write a batch to automate the jobs in step b);

After you finish all steps SUCCESSFULLY, try to run mstsc.exe, and check its version, got it? Yes, it's already upgrade your mstsc to support RDP 6.1. Now you can enjoy TS Web Access.

I've already upgraded some computers in my company with the method above successfully. Any question if you want to try this method, please let me know.
                Last edited by gu_steven; 15th March 2008, 05:39.

Comment

Well after spending over a day trying to figure out this issue in Windows xP, I've finally put together a solution to make this work!

Check out the article I've written at my web site including a download with batch file to automate the entire process.

http://memphistech.net/articles/webapp.htm

Comment

I haven't tested your procedure but here's a big thumbs up for posting it!

(can I use it on my site with credit to you?)
                    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Tried the batch install and it worked GREAT and was SO EASY!!!! Thank you!

Does the batch install work on Vista too? I would just try it, but I'm afraid to since I actually have a Vista machine that is working (knock on wood) and I don't want to blow it up.

Comment

Originally posted by pmasseycpa View Post
                        Tried the batch install and it worked GREAT and was SO EASY!!!! Thank you!

Does the batch install work on Vista too? I would just try it, but I'm afraid to since I actually have a Vista machine that is working (knock on wood) and I don't want to blow it up.
                        Why would you use it on Vista???? You don't need it on Vista!
                        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Yes, you do. You need something. An original install of Vista will not allow you to connect and run Remote Apps. You keep getting the "Active X" message and nothing will install to fix it. I did install Vista SP1 on a machine and everything works perfectly, but this was a test machine that I was not afraid to blow up. I cannot make it work on Vista without SP1 or something else like maybe this fix. The Microsoft posts acknowledge that it does not work on Vista without SP1.

Comment

Originally posted by pmasseycpa View Post
                            Yes, you do. You need something. An original install of Vista will not allow you to connect and run Remote Apps. You keep getting the "Active X" message and nothing will install to fix it. I did install Vista SP1 on a machine and everything works perfectly, but this was a test machine that I was not afraid to blow up. I cannot make it work on Vista without SP1 or something else like maybe this fix. The Microsoft posts acknowledge that it does not work on Vista without SP1.
                            I should have said "Vista SP1", as I assumed *everyone* has SP1.

Yes, you need SP1.
                            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by thetootall View Post
                              Well after spending over a day trying to figure out this issue in Windows xP, I've finally put together a solution to make this work!

Check out the article I've written at my web site including a download with batch file to automate the entire process.

http://memphistech.net/articles/webapp.htm
                              Worked a treat!!

Thumbs up!

Michael
                              Michael Armstrong
                              www.m80arm.co.uk
                              MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                              X