Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining 2008 domain

Hi.

I just installed 2 windows 2008 servers. One of them is setup as a domain controller. No problem here. My problem arise when I try to add the second server to the domain. After beeing prompted for my credentials it simply seems to stop responding. When I look in the computers container on my DC the machine seems to have been added correctly, but as i say, it never really does.

I can ping the domain controller from my other server on both the netbios and FQDN. I have disabled the firewall on the DC to no avail.

Any ideas+

Re: Joining 2008 domain

Originally posted by boeggild
    After beeing prompted for my credentials it simply seems to stop responding.
    What is it?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

"It" is my system during the process of joining the domain. Same problem both in the GUI via via the command promt.

Comment

Is the second server using DNS on the first server?
        Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Yes it is. And as I say I can ping the domain controler on the netbios and FQDN.

Comment

Hi,

You need to extend the Active Directory schema and update permissions as necessary to prepare the forest and domain for an additional domain controller that runs the Windows Server 2008 operating system.

If you join the new server as a read only domain controller, you would need to run rodcprep. If you join it as member server, I suggest you do the same.

Adprep.exe is a command-line tool that is available on the Windows Server 2008 installation disc in the \sources\adprep folder. You must run adprep from an elevated command prompt. To open an elevated command prompt, click Start, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

I have a network here with few servers running Windows 2008. I ran step above and can join them to domain or promote them to a DC just fine.
            Hope this makes sense. Good luck.

Support.
            Last edited by support; 12th February 2008, 16:01.

Comment

Originally posted by support View Post
              Hi,

You need to extend the Active Directory schema and update permissions as necessary to prepare the forest and domain for an additional domain controller that runs the Windows Server 2008 operating system.

If you join the new server as a read only domain controller, you would need to run rodcprep. If you join it as member server, I suggest you do the same.

Adprep.exe is a command-line tool that is available on the Windows Server 2008 installation disc in the \sources\adprep folder. You must run adprep from an elevated command prompt. To open an elevated command prompt, click Start, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

I have a network here with few servers running Windows 2008. I ran step above and can join them to domain or promote them to a DC just fine.
              Hope this makes sense. Good luck.

Support.
              No he doesn't if it's a brand new installation. Note that he didn't say he was upgrading an existing Win2003 domain. Also note that the first DC was successfully installed.

I have a different question - could it be that you cloned your servers in some way? Used Ghost or some other cloning software?
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

My answer is : No. I didn't clone the server HDD.

Support.

Comment

Support - how come you KNOW that he didn't clone the HD? You're not the original poster, so how come that you answer in his place?

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

First of all, I do aplogy for the confusion.However, he didn't mention to run sysprep or any kind of imaging preperation in this case. Thinking about this further, he should have received error if he simply cloned HDD, renamed the computer then joined it to the network as he can rename the computer but not the computer SID.

Support.

Comment

Working...
                    X