Exchange Server 2003 on Windows Server 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Server 2003 on Windows Server 2008

I have installed Windows Server 2008 RC1 and wanted to install Exchange Server 2003. Windows Server 2008 has IIS7 (which looks totally different from the earlier versions). Now when I started the installation of Exchange it errored that I haven't got the IIS Snap-In, SMTP and NNTP installed. I went to Program And Features and hoped to find the old Add Windows Components, but I couldn't find it. I can't find a way to install these three things.
    Does anybody know how to install this or has experience with 2008 in combination with Exchange 2003 Server?

Thanks in advance!

Olafski

Re: Exchange Server 2003 on Windows Server 2008

I haven't used Windows 2008 much but I believe is uses roles:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...ons/roles.mspx

There must be an option to add the web services role somewhere.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Are you 100% that you can run Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2008??????

You Had Me At EHLO... : Exchange Server and Windows Server 2008
      http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/20...16/446709.aspx
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hi,

First of all, you need to have a quick look at Microsoft site and http://www.msexchange.org to see if you can install Exchange 2003 to work with Windows 2008 RC1. If you can then here is how you add SMTP and SNMP:

Click start, click run , type :appwiz.cpl then hit enter.
        This step will take you to Programs and Features Windows. From here, click the link: Turn Windows Features on of off, click Features, click Add features, click Next and you will see what you need from there.

Good luck.

Support

Comment

Thank you all for replying. It is quite frustrating that on no single site I can find a bit on whether Exchange 2003 can run on Windows 2008. I did add a few features and Roles to 2008 and the only thing he is moaning about is NNTP and the IIS Snap-In. In all the lists of roles and features I cannot find the NNTP service...

Comment

Never mind; I found it at 'you had me at EHLO:
            Exchange 2003 cannot be installed on Windows Server 2008, but will be supported with Windows Server 2008 domain controllers.

Such a shame. My simple server doesn't have a 64 bits processor, so I cannot install Exchange 2007, am I right?

Comment

Yup Exchange 2007 is 64Bit only.
              Last edited by biggles77; 7th February 2008, 23:58. Reason: Typo. Changed Exchange 2008 to 2007
              Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

I have an early version of Windows 2008 beta and I can install IIS (you need the IIS 6 components as well), SMTP, ASP.NET but NNTP is missing. Maybe you need to wait for a later build of Windows 2008 for NNTP.

So basically, You can only use Exchange 2007 with Windows 2008 as it does not use NNTP in Exchange 2007 any more

Comment

Originally posted by olafski72 View Post
                  Never mind; I found it at 'you had me at EHLO:
                  Exchange 2003 cannot be installed on Windows Server 2008, but will be supported with Windows Server 2008 domain controllers.

Such a shame. My simple server doesn't have a 64 bits processor, so I cannot install Exchange 2007, am I right?
                  That's because you don't read what people said...

http://forums.petri.com/showpost.php...16&postcount=3
                  Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by pjhutch View Post
                    I have an early version of Windows 2008 beta and I can install IIS (you need the IIS 6 components as well), SMTP, ASP.NET but NNTP is missing. Maybe you need to wait for a later build of Windows 2008 for NNTP.

So basically, You can only use Exchange 2007 with Windows 2008 as it does not use NNTP in Exchange 2007 any more
                    You guys are amazing! What did I just say? YOU CANNOT RUN EX2003 ON A DAMN WIN2008 MACHINE!!!!

http://forums.petri.com/showpost.php...16&postcount=3

How hard is it to read???
                    Last edited by danielp; 22nd January 2010, 14:31.
                    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                    X