No announcement yet.

Server 2008 and Clustering

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2008 and Clustering

I was try to configure Two-Node failover cluster with WS2008 Ent. Build 6001.
    Can't pass Validate Storage Configuration.

Hardware :

2 Quad Core Xeon Servers
    LSI LS704EP-LC FC adapters
    QLogic 10 port FiberSwith
    Nexsan SataBoy with 2 FC ports controller.

Every server are connected to storage and can read/write .

Validate failed with " Cluster Disk 0 does not support Persistent Reservation "

This is a hardware problems ?
    Have some information about this issue ?

Re: Server 2008 and Clustering

do you understand what the persistent reservation is all about?

im not going to try to explain (butcher) it in my own words... instead, ill quote IBM for the definition:
    Persistent Reserve (PR) refers to a set of Small Computer Systems Interface-3 (SCSI-3) standard commands and command options. These PR commands and command options give SCSI initiators the ability to establish, preempt, query, and reset a reservation policy with a specified target disk. The functions provided by PR commands are a superset of current reserve and release mechanisms. These functions are not compatible with legacy reserve and release mechanisms. Target disks can only support reservations from either the legacy mechanisms or the current mechanisms.

just reading that *should* help you understand why the cluster is failing.

if one server has a PR on a disk, then the other node cannot wipe that PR due to the signature and/or time-out period of the disk PR... for lack of better terminology. god i suck at explaining things...

here is the associated KB with this error, but unfortunately it is geared towards 2003:
    A cluster node failover does not work when you use SCSI-3-compliant persistent reservations in Windows Server 2003 SP1

here is a side note that semi-applies to you:
    Windows Server 2008 Failover Clustering - Storage Changes
    Persistent Reservations - WIndows Server 2008 Failover Clustering supports the use of persistent reservations. This means that directly attached SCSI storage will no longer be supported in 2008 for Failover Clustering. Serially Attached Storage (SAS), Fiber Channel, and iSCSI will be the only supported technology. However, not all vendors support persistent reservations, so this will be a problem as organizations move to Windows Server 2008 Failover Clustering without full and proper testing.

in addition, here is the link to the
    Step-by-Step Guide for Configuring a Two-Node File Server Failover Cluster in Windows Server 2008

sorry if that just compounds your problems. i just learned something new about the future of fail-over clustering in 2008...

you also have the option of calling the disk vendor and asking them how to disable PR on the disks... or replacing the disk0 with a PR capable disk. i would think the disk is fine, and this is an OS related issue, but im not able to make that diagnosis without the server being there. on the ibm link i gave you, there are some commands that you can run that will display the status of PR on a specific disk...

good luck!
    Last edited by James Haynes; 26th December 2007, 20:44.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...