DNS Rebuild

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Rebuild

OK, in a fair amount of shite at work. DNS is screwed and needs to be rebuilt due to a DC failure Other DC is in place but DNS is not happy because it's still referencing the old DC. I need to get some advice quick about rebuilding dns on the other dc and where to begin, I know basics but not enough to be confident in it. Anyone got any good links / articles / advice?

Cheers

Re: DNS Rebuild

Have a read on how to cleanup metadata and see if that helps.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks for that. I know the FSMO roles existed on the failed DC and these have been seized already and that sorted things. I think the problem we had was that we could not manually remove the old dns entry's because the failed DC was a primary server and the secondary DC wasn't? and it won't allow us to do this, i think? If this is the case what needs to be done, and I guess it's advisable to not do this with users logged in, what effects will this have?

Sorry for all the questions...
      Last edited by UKG; 31st August 2006, 19:35.

Comment

If you haven't done the metadata cleanup, you need to.
        You should be able to change the secondary zone to a primary.
        http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true
        You may also want to make it Integrated. Better redundancy this way (plus other benefits).
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I am not sure if the metadata cleanup was performed, I didn't do it myself. Is there any easy way to tell? Also can all the DNS work be done easily enough with users logged in etc? what else do I need to be aware of?

Thanks

Comment

Check out the link that Chris posted and see if you can figure it out
            As for the DNS, once it's primary it can then be updated. It shouldn't affect clients.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

OK, so is it advisable to do the metadata cleanup anyway? Sorry, i've never had to do anything like this before and obviously worried about getting it wrong and at the moment with only the one available DC it's a bit scary

Comment

OK, part of the process is listing all the DCs in AD. If the failed DC is listed then you need to finish performing the cleanup. If it's not listed you can just exit ntdsutil. You should also check the Site, Domain Controller container, and DNS (which you won't be able to change until you switch it to a primary zone)
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW
                  OK, part of the process is listing all the DCs in AD. If the failed DC is listed then you need to finish performing the cleanup. If it's not listed you can just exit ntdsutil. You should also check the Site, Domain Controller container, and DNS (which you won't be able to change until you switch it to a primary zone)
                  Thanks, yes I believe that's the problem, the remaining DC is not a primary zone? and so you cant do anything in DNS. Well, i'll have a look at this tomorrow and see what kinda state we are in. I don't hold out much hope for it though...

Thanks for the help so far anyway

Comment

Working...
                  X