Accessing MSDE data on numerous machines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessing MSDE data on numerous machines

I have a number of MSDE databases running on various machines throughout the domain. Is it possible for me to log into each of these MSDE databases and run SQL queries on them?

If so, how do I do it?

Windows 2003 Server.

Regards
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Accessing MSDE data on numerous machines

Certainly, but you need enterprise manger from MS. This normally is included with the full version of SQL server, However in your case (if you don't have it) you can download the evaluation version of SQL server. The SQL server itself will expire (don't bother installing it) but enterprise manager does not.

(Personally i would install it on a workstation not the server.)

If you want to run queries against them that is a different story, and depends largely on what you are trying to do. You can query data in enterprise manager or access.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Thanks- that seems to work. But there is one question I need to ask......I know there are two MSDEs on server JLRX01, but I can only see one when using Enterprise Manager from my SQL Server. How can I open the other one (It's the Sharepoint MSDE).
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      |

Comment

not sure what you mean , you cannot have two MSDE servers installed (at least in normal situations). There may be two databases under that server....
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Each time you install MSDE on a machine, it creates a new instance of a database. I have two on one of my servers, but the Sharepoint one is not listed. I think it is hidden from view and the sa login has a password. I suppose I need to find out what the sa password is set to by Sharepoint.
          |
          +-- JDMils
          |
          |

Comment

try running 'OSQL -L' from the command line.
            it will list the SQL instances found on the network.

anyway, you will need sa user and password to login.

Comment

Thanks Martin77,

I tried "osql -S jlrx01\sophos -E" on the domain controller and I was presented with the "1>" prompt, so I presume I logged in successfully?

Is there a good freeware application I can use from my workstation to administer the MSDE databases on the various servers?
              |
              +-- JDMils
              |
              |

Comment

A quick Google reveals that if you are running sharepoint on Windows 2003, it is most likely not MSDE but rather WMSDE see here for a list of limitations. One of them is connecting to it remotely. I'll be honest, I did not know this 5 minutes ago. Also there is a freeware version of a enterprise manager type of utility, I have used it only once and don't plan to ever again
                Last edited by Lior_S; 31st August 2006, 12:52.

Comment

Working...
                X