Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP catering for LAN printers although they are not excluded

Hi,

We have SBS 2003 with AD. DHCP was set up shortly before I joined the company.

Two Konica printers are connected to the LAN with IP addresses of 10.10.1.53 and 10.10.1.54. When I checked DHCP I saw its address pool is set to 10.10.1.11 to 10.10.1.254 with no exclusions or reservations that I can see. The address leases shows addresses from 10,10.1.11 to 10.10.1.63 are in use but the two printer addresses have been skipped over.

I'm puzzled as to how DHCP is managing to do this since as far as I can see it hasn't been told about the printers. My understanding of DHCP is that an exclusion should have been set up for the printers but everything seems to be working anyway.

Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks.

Re: DHCP catering for LAN printers although they are not excluded

Address Conflict Detection is probably enabled.

You should probably configure exclusions for these two printers because there's the potential of assigning 53 and 54 to clients if the printers are off or disconnected from the network at the time of lease request.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Oh, the hubris. In my daily struggles with the mysteries of DNS, Exchange, RDP, GPOs etc I used to comfort myself with the thought that at least I understood DHCP. Ha! None of my reference materials talked about conflict detection.

At least I understand it better today than I did yesterday. Thanks, Jeremy.

I have added an exclusion for the printers. They have both been offline for servicing in the past few days so we have been lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by gsaint
        Oh, the hubris. In my daily struggles with the mysteries of DNS, Exchange, RDP, GPOs etc I used to comfort myself with the thought that at least I understood DHCP. Ha! None of my reference materials talked about conflict detection.

At least I understand it better today than I did yesterday. Thanks, Jeremy.

I have added an exclusion for the printers. They have both been offline for servicing in the past few days so we have been lucky.

It's amazing how many nuances there are!
        Glad to help.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
        X