What's the use of a NAS device?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the use of a NAS device?

I just bought a Maxtor 500GB Storage Plus NAS device and am upset that basically what I got was a big hard disk sitting on the network with little security.

My aim was to setup security rights on folders on the NAS using the Active Directory but that theory has been blown away. The NAS supports username/password authentication but only for root folders, no sub folders. If a user tries to access a folder, he is asked for a username & password.

There's no Active Directory integration whatsoever- damn

I'm now thinking of taking out the hard disk and putting it in a PC case with Windows 2003 server loaded (which I already have) and reformatting it so that I can use it like I initially thought I would have.

Is this the case for all NAS devices- including the big expensive ones??
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: What's the use of a NAS device?

That's not the case with enterprise level network attached storage. That beind said, you should be able to map network drive from the one of the DC and than assign permissions to the folders as you see feet.
    I preffer fiber based NAS if client can affod it but very few small shops will spend $2000 for 146 GB hard drive.

Good luck,

Trbonja

Comment

Originally posted by trbonja
      I preffer fiber based NAS if client can affod it but very few small shops will spend $2000 for 146 GB hard drive.

Trbonja
      What ??
      I don't know you so i don't doubt your knowledge, But look here:
      --NAS uses TCP/IP Networks: Ethernet, FDDI, ATM (perhaps TCP/IP over Fibre Channel someday)
      --SAN uses Fibre Channel

Therefor - no such term as "fiber based NAS". Not yet at least

H

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils
        Is this the case for all NAS devices- including the big expensive ones??
        No, there's some that do OK.

We use a Snap4500. (Not sure if they're selling this model anymore) It has AD integration and NTFS permissions. IMO Windows is easier to configure and you have more control.

There very well may be other NAS products that are a lot better than the 4500.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
        X