Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem: Windows 2003 server and blank password for the admin, can't gain access.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem: Windows 2003 server and blank password for the admin, can't gain access.

First a rundown on the setup:
    The server is a windows 2003 server SP1, hosted by GoDaddy with 3 useraccounts that belong to the admin group:
    1. administrator (disabled).
    2. Plesk administrator (used by plesk for web sites management).
    3. Some other account - lets call it adminuser - that was/is the active admin account used.
    4. Another account - lets call it simpleuser - that doesn NOT have admin access but is allowed login thru RDP.

On the 17th Windows expired adminuserss' password, and the human behind adminuser changed it (by mistake) to a blank password. Since then the human behind adminuser can't gain administrative access to the box. RDP is open and us humans have [limeted] access to that box thru RDP.
    adminuser can't logon becuase of restrictions to the account, which means a Policy that doesn't allow blank passworded accounts access thru RDP. We got GoDaddy staff over to the box to try to login localy, they claim they got the same error.
    RunAs fails with the same error.
    I don't have physical access to the box, so slaving offline boot is out of the question.
    So my question is: What methods are avaailable to try to gain admin access to the box??

What I have tried so far:
    1. Changing the Policy: ACCESS DENIED
    2. Runas: ACCESS DENIED
    3. Local Login: ACCESS DENIED
    4. Change the next startup mode to safe mode with networking support: ACCESS DENIED
    Please help.

thank you

Re: Problem: Windows 2003 server and blank password for the admin, can't gain access.

Solved: Wow, that was a quick one. Turns out that Plesk has a control panle that allows you to schedule tasks, since the service that runs plesk has admin privs, I scheduled the following little script:
    net user adminuser password
    which just change the password for adminuser to password, and viola, I was in.

Thanks anyhow.

Comment

Re: Problem: Windows 2003 server and blank password for the admin, can't gain access.

OK, I know the obvious question is: why couldn't I use that user account to login to Windows or to run runas?
      The answer: I don't know the password to that account, but plesk has it's own usernames and password database, and I used that to log into Pleasks Control Panel.

Comment

So it is adminuser and password. Now what was the IP of that server again?

Nice job sorting it out and thanks for posting the solution. 50 minutes from 1st post to solution, that may be a record!
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X